Need help deciding between dual 1.8 and dual 2.0

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by raccoons4sale, Feb 24, 2005.

1. raccoons4sale macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2005
    I just moved into a new apt. and no longer am able to use my "home" computer. I have about 3500 and will be purchasing a computer this weekend.
    I used to have a 1.6 g5 powermac and am intending on purchasing another powermac. I do heavy design work as well as heavy website work daily. This includes adobe cs and macromedia flash.
    My question is:
    1) Should i buy a dual 1.8 powermac and with the extra money buy extra ram and hopefully a x800 video card (when they are available)
    2) buy a dual 2.0 system put some extra ram and push back any other upgrades

I am buying a apple cinema display 20" since the student discount drops 100 bucks off. (student discount is also applied to the two powermacs)

please help!!

edit: i also would like to be able to play world of warcraft and command and c. possibly the sims when it comes out.
  2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    I can't answer your question, but the Macworld review offers some tests results and comparisons which might apply in your case.

And by the way, I have to say your name is the most hilarious one I have ever seen in these forums ... no offense intended, I got a kick out of it.
  3. raccoons4sale thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 24, 2005
    haha's a long story
  4. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    My philosophy, as I've stated here before, is to buy the best of the things you can't upgrade. If that means cutting back on some things that CAN be updated later, than so be it. It will be best for the long run.

So I would definitely say go for the dual 2.0Ghz. You'd still have plenty left over for boosting the RAM, and the video card can wait until you can save up some more.

You should think about getting a refurb dual 2.0. Apple usually has them for $2099. You can't do any BTO options, but everything except an internal BT module can be upgraded yourself at your leisure.
  5. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    From what I understand, the ACDs are a waste of money. Equally good (if not better) monitors can be had for hundreds less. A lot of people around here specifically recommend Dell's 20" widescreen display. You can normally find rebates or coupon codes that bring it down to about $500 or $600 (I think). The 20" ACD is $900 with edu discount.

The only reason I can see to get the ACD is for the look of the housing or simply because it's branded with the apple logo. Neither of which are good reasons to spend an extra $300, IMO
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    If you don't really need to use PCI/PCI-X expansion cards, you may be better off getting a slightly slower machine and boosting the memory and graphics card.

However if you plan on adding an XServe RAID via a fibre channel card, SCSI drives, PCI-X video card (3rd or 4th monitor), etc. -- the PowerMac 2.0 with the PCI-X capability is the better bet. Since you can always add more memory and a upgraded graphics card at a later date.

All depends on what you need NOW, especially if it's a income producing machine.
  7. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Like others I would recommend the dual 2.0. Usually best to purchase the best that you can afford. The stock machine should meet your needs. The only exception is memory, if affordable boost Ram to 2 GB. If you fel conmforatable installing the memory yourslef, then Crusicial is your answer.
  8. cwerdna macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    SF Bay Area, California
    I tend to agree with this opinion. If you go to and look for Dell LCDs, you'll find them to be a lot cheaper.

Unfortunately for the OP, he probably won't see the 506.75 shipped free deal on the 2001FP or 2005FPW in time. I know a coworker who runs the 2001FP on his PM G5 at work. The 2001FP usually is ~$570 or so under "normal" coupon deals. The $ spent on the Apple 20" display is almost enough to get 2 of these Dells.