Need Help Deciding on Computer for 7 y.o. daughter....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Datazoid, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Datazoid macrumors regular

May 10, 2002
    She doesn't need anything fancy, just something to run her games. Currently, all of her games (that we own) and pretty much anything in the store still runs on OS 9, so for the moment I am not too worried about OS X. However, I suppose that, down the road, it might be nice if it *could* run OS X, but I'm not sure.

What I've been looking at is:

PowerMac 5500/225: $59.49 @

Beige G3 AIO: $80-129

iMac 333MHz: $240 @

Which of these do you think would be the best deal? I've been struggling with this one (and sparring with my wife over it) for a week, and figured a second opinion would be nice. I am leaning towards the 5500 (because its really all she needs to run her games currently), but also like the upgradability of the AIO (leaves the future open). She (wife) likes the iMac because its "cooler", and that machine also ensures compatibility with Panther.

And yes, I am aware that buying of eBay is dangerous, but I do plan on being as cautious as possible (no wires (PayPal/CC only), only users (stores) w/high ratings (yes, I know, that can be "fixed", but still), etc). I wouldn't buy a more expensive computer off of eBay, but I am not as worried about $100. That said, what do you think? Also, on the latter two machines, can anybody testify to how OS X runs (Panther (those who have it) or Jag), just so I can have a ball-park idea if it is even worth considering them for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
  2. neut macrumors 68000

Nov 27, 2001
    here (for now)

i got my little girl (7 in december...time for an ibook!) an imac last christmas. 400mhz and it runs jag fairly well. my girlfriend likes it too. nice internet, kid-game, and typing machine. looks pretty cool too (indigo).

i wouldn't buy anything older than a b&w personally...and those ibooks would be perfect for her now that she's doing more advanced learning.
  3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    go for the imac 333, those things last forever i should know i have one that i gave to the stepson, but if you are really thinking about os10 i would look for a lil more machine say 450-500 imac or better