Need Help Deciding What to Get

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MrMan112, Jan 21, 2007.

1. MrMan112 macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    I bought a Powerbook G5 about 2 years ago. It currently has a few problems: 1. It runs rather slow. Programs take a long time to load. Even Firefox and Safari seem to run slow, and I get the beach ball alot there.

2. A piece of the plastic trim broke off at one of the corners, leaving a rather unattractive hole in the PB (I repaired this with a dental material).

3. The latch is broken. The hook comes down, but the piece its supposed to lock on broke off.

Unfortunately, I don't have Apple Care, and even if I were to send it in and pay the flat rate, they would probably question the hole.

I think a new machine would be my best option. I use my laptop for mainly word processing, internet, music and photo editing (Photoshop of Aperture).

What laptop would be my best bet?

Also, I am possibly replacing my 6 year old Dell desktop (which makes my decision harder because I like having a desktop and laptop, but will have to sepnd alot to have that again). I am considering a 20 inch iMac for this purpose.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    You could try adding more RAM to the machine which would make it run better. But for Aperture you are probably best off with an MBP 15", you can buy a large display and then you'll be able to use one computer at home and on the road.
  3. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005

I didn't even consider getting a monitor. Great idea.
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    15" MacBook Pro + external monitor.

A MacBook won't run Aperture well enough without a video card, although it'll run Photoshop just fine (um....or at least when CS3 is released and it goes Universal). :)
  5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Yeah, PhotoShop is ridiculously slow on the Intel Macs at the moment, as it's all emulated under Rosetta.

Also, I don't think Aperture will even run on the MacBook as it requires a dedicated graphics card (something the MacBook doesn't have).

MacBook Pro is your best option, especially if you're upgrading from a PowerBook G5
  6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Aug 15, 2006
    The Rainbow Nation RSA
    :eek: DAMN, PowerBook G5 from where. Is it some beta prototype or what. pics? I'll buy it from you :p
  7. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    MacBook Pro 15'' No doubt...get 2Gb of RAM and a nice external display and your set!
  8. MrMan112 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 4, 2005
    :rolleyes: Powerbook G4.