Need help Deciding Which Mac??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mocman, Sep 7, 2004.

1. mocman macrumors regular

May 8, 2004
    I have a 12" powerbook @ 1ghz with a superdrive etc. My question is pretty simple to you guys in this forum.
    I want a Desktop version of the mac now. I do alot of windows stuff and I will keep my P4 also. I have a lcd with dvi and reg input. I will hook the apple desktop via dvi.
    I will be doing iphoto and imovie and occasionally idvd. Yea I love the simplicity of macs and will one day fully convert all my stuff over.
    I need to know if the single g5 will work. Or the dual will be better and do I need the dual for what I will be doing? I know the dual is faster but is it al BIG Diff? I also could get a 20" g4 iMac for 1600 and would like to know if that will be suffice. I have read alot and they say to stay clear of the imac. Or will the Emac with superdrive be enough? Thanks in Advance for all the Input..
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    For 1600 you could get a G5 iMac w/superdrive AND a 512 MB stick from Crucial. This would be more than enough for your needs as stated. For only $400 more you could bump this to a 20-incher. $1600 for a G4 -- even a 20-incher -- is not much of a deal at all.
  3. ocellnuri macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2004
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    I'd say for your uses, go for the iMac. The G5 may really be more than you need for casual iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD work. Plus, if you're wanting to fully switch over, that 20" display on the iMac may make you shun your windows machine away a lot quicker when you put it up next to the LCD you're using with your Windows box. :)

I'm a bit of a newbie myself though, so I'll leave the floor to some of the veterans.
  4. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    iMac G5 should be fine for those needs. should have some stats for you soon.
  5. debroglie macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    If I were in your situation I would go for a Powermac. Be sure to look at the DP G4 PMs too, those really are great machines for the money.

Keep in mind, the iMac does not support seperate dual displays (i know, i know, there is a hack - but do you really want to have to use a hack?). Also, the powermacs could be upgraded more easily when needed in the future.
  6. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

May 8, 2004
    thanks guys.......I knew it would be a headache for me as usual.About the G4 Dual is there much diff in that and the imac or G5??Besides the SWEET G5 Case...... Michael C
  7. Blurb macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    But, then again...

Mocman, are just really wanting a G5? 'Cause I would simply make my 12" PB into the desktop by connecting it to the lcd monitor and get wireless/BT keyboard and mouse. Only cost outlay is the KB and mouse.
  8. mocman thread starter macrumors regular

May 8, 2004
    Thanks for all that you guys did. I ordered a Refurb G% today from apple and CAN NOT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    And if all goes well I will be able to sell my windoz machine and lcd and get me that new apple screen.....Thanks Michael C