Need help desperately... if you're good with electronics!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mulletman13, Jan 13, 2006.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey all,

I'm building a projector right now, and while I was stripping my LCD panel (a Samsung Syncmaster 150MP), one of the connectors broke on a cable.

Since the board and everything else is completely intact, I'm wondering if I can just find a replacement for this cable... however I have absolutely no idea where to look, or what to search for on the internet.

Here is a picture of the cable... the DS and screwdriver are for size comparisons.

[​IMG]

Basically, imagine a regular ATA cable:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (representing the pins)

All right, now cut that in half so you only have one row:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Here is what I need for this cable:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    |___________________|
    - about an inch long

All right, the ATA cable is pretty long/big... this cable is nearly a third of that size... I have absolutely no idea what to search for, any help would be VERY appreciated. It boggles my mind that an interchangeable part like a cable would bone the entire LCD. I really hope somebody can help me, the last thing I want to do is try and solder all these pins to the pins on the board :-X

Thanks in advance,

Ken

2. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

It's called 'ribbon cable' if that's any help. It's generally available in many different sizes.

3. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

You could just take the cable to a local computer shop. I bet they will know what it is and might be able to sell you one. I would imagine it would only cost a few pounds/dollars max to replace.

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Here are some sizes of flat ribbon cable. I know you need 2layers of 20 wires (from your diagram), but you might have to buy 50 and split it a couple of times.
    EDIT: No matter what I do with the link it's not going to work. Just click it, and type 'ribbon cable' (no quotes) into the search box in the top left.

5. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies -- I just got back from going to the local PC repair place, and they just looked at it, and said I'd be best contacting Samsung to get a replacement. I'll get some better pictures up soon when I get my camera, or I can try and scan the cable. The problem is that I would try and mutilate a standard ATA ribbon cable, but it's too big.

This has 20 pins in it, and is about (almost exactly) an inch long.

Keep the ideas coming, thanks for the input :)

... I just hope worst comes to worst I don't have to solder the wires to the board.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

I checked out those two above links, emailed Samsung about it, and was surprised at how many 150MP parts were at the partstore.com

In any case, I can't seem to find anything in the 164 results that would match the description. The search for Samsung Syncmaster 150mp returns 164 parts, only one being a "cable" which is a coax. There are however many "connectors" which I believe would be what I'm looking for.

http://www.partstore.com/ModelDetail.aspx?MfgId=90&ModelID=95353&close=0&exact=1

If that works there they are.

The only problem with these are that :

I have no idea what the item description means... for example:

CONNECTOR-DSUB 15P,3R,FEMALE,ANGLE,AUF

I assume that means 15 pins... but I can't make out any of the other thing (besides female). None of the parts returned have 20 pins, which is what would be needed :(

Thanks guys, I've posted this on a few forums and by far this has been the most helpful one so far :)

8. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Yeah, that's not the one you want. Angle means it connects at 90° instead of straight up and down. DSUB looks like this:
    [​IMG]

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If you can't get the cable assembly, you should still be able to get replacement connectors (cable too) from digikey.com . You will need to come up with exact measurements for the pin spacing (and figure out if it's metric or inch spacing), but they carry a load of stuff and list all the dimensions etc. in their online catalog pages. Expect it to be a bit of a hunt buying parts this way, unless you're lucky and there are brand names or part numbers molded into the connectors.

You'll also want to measure the spacing of the wires in the ribbon cable and make sure that matches up with the connectors, they're not all the same.