Need Help Disabling Local Server

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Capt Underpants, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well Apparently I'm running a local server... Screenshot at the bottom. I want to disable it because it seems like a security risk. However, when I try and drag it to the trash (which was the only way I could think of disabling it) it says I don't have sufficient privileges. When I try dragging the broken "library" icon into the trash, it says the same thing. I went into disk utilities and repaired permissions (which, by the way, was the first time I've repaired permissions since I bought this mac last May :eek: ). It didn't help.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

System Preferences -> Internet & Network -> Sharing -> Services (tab)

Look to see if you have any services running. If all are off then it's only localhost that is showing and that should not be a problem as it's impossible to access from another machine.

If it still annoys you, go to to Finder preferences -> Sidebar and uncheck the box next to the Network icon. Now you cannot see it anymore... ;)

3. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Ya none of those boxes are checked. And I don't want to just uncheck it because it'll still bother me. I'm anal like that...

edit: And I'd still like to get that broken library icon out of there. It annoys the heck out of me.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmmm... well, does it comfort you, even just a little, knowing that I have one, too...? ;)

Edit: It should be fairly easy to remove it using Terminal and rm command (sudo rm /Network/Library) but I don't like removing things without knowing what it is or where it came from... :eek: Anyone know where this Library alias came from? (My guess is a MySQL install, but that's only a guess...)

Attached Files:

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It appeared as an odd alias after installing 10.4.1 - I think the consensus was that it was an oversight to leave it in there and it was safe to delete using Terminal.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Thanks!

Gone now... ;)

Attached Files:

7. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well I did the whoel sudo rm /network/library, but now three new folders appeared. One is mshome, another my network, and another workgroup. I guess that I could do the same command to remove those? Can I use that command to remove the server icon?

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Wait a minute... the commands "sudo rm /Network/Library" and "sudo rm /network/library" are NOT the same... You did capitalize the N and L, didn't you...?

Those three others look suspiciously Windows-like. Do you have a PC in your network...?

9. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Ya I capitalized the N and the L, luckily :eek:

And Yes I do hae a PC in my network.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Good. :)

You can probably remove those Windows ones, too, but they might show up again whenever your Mac "finds" the PC on the network. Those aliases are there to help you log on to the PC.