Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kogorman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2006
Once upon a time I programmed a text-based game with the original Mac OS. I have since lost my source code, and no longer own a Mac, but I'd like to resurrect the game for another platform.

My problem: a great deal of text is in the resource fork, in a (slightly) encoded form, but when I try to (for instance) unstuffit, all I get is the data fork, which is empty. The stuffit file is compressed using an unpublished algorithm, so I don't know how to get it in a usable form.

I need the program's resource fork in an un-compressed file. I remember the encryption well enough to know how to find the text from there.

The game is Crystal Cave (most recent version is 2.2, I think).

Anybody know how I can get from here to there?

++ kevin

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I did a little research and it seems like you can access the resource fork of a file in the terminal by appending /rsrc to the filename. Lets say the filename is crystal.bin, you should be able to copy the resource fork into the data fork of another file, crystal_resource_fork by issuing the following command:

cat crystal.bin/rsrc > crystal_resource_fork

kogorman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2006
This is helpful, but I do not have immediate access to any form of Macintosh any more :( . If I supply the file, can someone do this for me? You'll find a binhexed stuffit at
http://www.kosmanor.com/~kevin/crystalcave2.2.sit.hqx

I can accept attachments directed to:
kevin at kosmanor.com.

Thanks in advance. Expect an internationalized version of the game in due course, this time as an open-source project.

++ kevin

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
I'm trying to send you and e-mail, but I keep getting this error in return:

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<kevin at kosmanor.com>
(reason: 554 <kevin at kosmanor.com>: Relay access denied)

With the real 'at' instead of at of course. I've tried from two different smtp servers.

I've uploaded it here instead.

kogorman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2006
Thank you very much. I dunno what's with the relay problem.
I'll have to try this myself.

I don't actually use that addr much any more, but wasn't
aware it went bad. Security measures overdone, I expect.

++ kevin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.