Need help finding a Professional DV Cam

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by scs_productions, Apr 23, 2003.

1. scs_productions macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2003

I am looking for a Professional DV Camera, i have norrowed it down to two camera types:

the JVC GY-DV300U and the Panasonic AG-DVX100

I have done loads of research on each of them, i have tryed both of them and they both are very good. i need your thoughts about the two

have you used any of these?
    how did you like them?
    What are your thoughts on them, up and downs?

i have looked high and low and have not found many reviews on them.

thanks for the time

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Not to nit pick but neither camera you are looking at would qualify as Pro. Prosumer, yes, but not pro. ;)

Check out They have forums for just about everything and are an incredible resource when it comes to all things Industry related.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    Lethal's right. Both those cameras can be classified as "Prosumer" cameras.

But, if I had to pick between the two, I'd get the Panasonic. I have a friend and a professor who both just got the Panasonic, and they absolutely love it. I've played around with it as well, and overall I think it's a great Prosumer camera.
  4. makkystyle macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2002
    Hey steve,

What are your uses for the camera going to be?
  5. jethroted macrumors 6502a

Jan 2, 2003
    I would recomend A Canon XL-1, or GL1(if you need to save $$$) I have a GL-1 and it rocks. The quality is way worth the price. It works great with my imac, and FCP 3.
  6. makkystyle macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2002
    okay did a little research myself. First, i'm assuming you mean the JVC GR-DV3000U because I looked all over the JVC site and could not find any GY-300U.

If that is the one you are looking at then you are looking at two completely different cameras. The Panasonic has 3 CCD's whereas the JVC only has 1, the panasonic can shoot 24 frame progressive the JVC cannot, the Panasonic is nearly 2 grand more expensive than the JVC, etc.

If you're choosing BETWEEN these then I would absolutely say the Panasonic. Have never used either but I do have a JVC mini-DV cam and it is in the shop for the second time since christmas with only about 4 DV tapes shot and I BABY the thing. I would also strongly suggest Canon if you are going to spend that much money. The XL1s is a badass camera and unless you want to shoot film style video the 24p frame rate is not that important.
  7. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    You might want to look into a Sony PD-150 and that series. It's probably more comparible with the Cannon GL-1 then the XL-1. It's been a while since i used an XL-1 but i really like the PD-150
  8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    CANON GL-1

I have a Canon GL-1 for sale. I have been trying to sell it for like 2 months.

Its a great camera. In perfect condition. It cost about 2,500 dollars when I first bought it. I think it will most likely beat the pants off the cameras you selected.

If 1500 is in your price range, let me know. I am negotiable....

There is nothing wrong with my camera either, it comes with everything plus 2 batteries that I bought later on.
  9. TMay macrumors 68000

Dec 24, 2001
    Carson City, NV
    the one you want is:

JVC GR-HD1. It is a single chip HD 16:9 though it isn't a 24p progressive. Available in July for $3.5k. Unless your going to convert to film, 24p isn't going to buy you that much, and the filters available get you pretty close anyway.

The best choice isn't available yet either, but it is a 16:9, 24p/30p, 3 chip evolution of the XL-1s.

look for the camera at

of course, this is only my opinion.
  10. Glossybear macrumors member

Oct 1, 2002
    Hollywood CA
    Cannon, Pani, Sony PROs

A little OT:

IMO these DV cameras ARE pro. Sure, they are called "prosumer" but really that is just marketing.

I know plenty of PROs who produce and sell work on XL1s, PD150s, and DVX100s.

To me that means pro-camera.

Hell when Soderberg shot his DV feature (Full Frontal) he had to muck-up the image he got with the XL1 because it was better than he wanted it to look...

Sorry. Just had to toss in my 2c.

But I think the DVX100 is the cam to buy right now! (unless you want to wait for the HD JVC)
  11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Re: Cannon, Pani, Sony PROs

The line between pro and prosumer is blurring but there is still a difference. The biggest one usually being the lack of interchangable lenses and poor manual controls located on most prosumer cameras. For some applications this is not a problem but for others it is.

Although I have not scene FF yet, I'm assuming the "mucking-up" was an attempt soften the harsh, flat images that video produces compared to film.

I have nothing against DV (it's what I use) but I disagree that the cameras being mentioned qualify as pro cameras. Not because they cannot produce a quality product but because of a lack of features and flexibility as compared to "pro" level cameras.