Need help finding info on Bush and abortion

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I know that Bush hasn't always been anti-abortion. I can find opinion pieces that talk about how he is wishy-washy on the subject but nothing where he is quoted as having switched at some point. I also understand that Barabara and Laura are both pro-choice. You all seem to find things I can never find. Anyone know of reliable sources, even if I'm incorrect.

2. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think you're thinking of his father. I will look it up and get back to you.

edit: here is a mention of his father's position on Roe v. Wade.

link

3. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I understand that he and his father both did this.

I'll see you in the morning!

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Neserk,

here is a link to various statements by Dubya on abortion.

I think the most you can say is that in the period in which he was Governor of Texas, but preparing for a run at the White House he tried to downplay the significance of his anti-abortion positions. He didn't want to alienate moderate republicans who he had carefully courted, some would say duped, by coming off as a zealot on the issue. I can't find anywhere or any time in which he advocated a pro-choice position. Of course, that's to be expected even if he had "secret" pro-choice ideas. You can't get elected as a Republican for Congress or Governor in Texas (especially Midland) with a pro-choice position. So you're left with either the idea that he lied about his position all those years (not likely) or he is as far right on the issue as he appears to be.

On the other hand, his father did change his views to accommodate the Republican electorate during his run for President.

5. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

there are those persistent rumors that, early on, he insisted a girlfriend get an abortion. but i've never seen that rumor substantiated.

7. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I saw the rumor as well -- I doubt it is true.

I know from my research that true anti-abortionists don't believe him. They have seen him do nothing but a token attempt to end abortion.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I imagine he's like a lot of folks: Basically, against abortion--or, against the behavior which leads to the perceived need--but grudgingly willing to go along with the law. I don't see him, personally, being any sort of bible-thumper about abortion.

Then you get into the "Which tri-mester?" stuff. My son showed up six weeks early, so when you get to the third tri-mester I shift toward being an "aginner". Wouldn't surprise me if he did, also.

'Rat