Need help finding power supply for external enclosure...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazydreaming, Jun 13, 2006.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    I bought this external enclosure, and well, it doesn't have a power supply! It is a firewire enclosure, but that's all I know, no brand name or anything. It appears to be 5 pins. Anyone know how/where I could track down a power supply for it? Thanks!

It is the plug on the far right

Attached Files:

2. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Without a brand or anything, you might be in a sticky situation. There's no way of knowing that voltage that you need in the power supply, even if you get a pinout that matches.
  3. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

Mar 23, 2003
    New England
    Can you post some more pics of the entire unit. For some reason, the view you have reminds me of a QPS unit.
  4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    It looks like a fairly standard 5V/12V connector, however I had a customer substitute a powersupply on an enclosure once.

I told him to back up to DVD before we moved from his old Mac to his new one, but he brought the machine in and said "Oh man, those DVD's, they take 20 minutes each, I would've been there for hours! So I didn't bother." We backed up all his work to a new Seagate hard drive (in an old enclosure, 'coz it saved $40) and he formats his old drives. Now, this new drive is the drive that he had stored his entire life's work on (photoshop files... can you see where this one is going?)

He gets home with it, and can't remember which power supply goes with the enclosure, so plugs in the first one that fits -- and it burned hell out of the brand-new Seagate drive - toasted a couple of components right off the board.

Fortunately, we were able to buy another Seagate drive of the exact same model, and I swapped the circuit boards from the new drive to the old one, the toasted drive spun up fine and I recovered all of the data onto yet another new drive.

So where are we, crazy -- if this is an external hard drive, it'll cost you a bunch of searching and about $35 with shipping to order a replacement AC adaptor. Or you can get a whole MacAlly external enclosure for around $45. (if it's a CD/DVD it;ll cost a little more.) So...
  5. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Feb 26, 2004
    To me it looks like a style A table top power supply. you will need to find out the voltage and current specs. i agree with canada RAM just get another cheap enclosure the price difference will not be that much.
  6. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    I can post more pics if that helps. But I know what you guys are saying also about how it may be cheaper to just buy a new enclosure.

However, over a year ago, I was working in an engineering department and those guys found the powersupply I needed and it was only $12. It was on an online site. Being dumb, I didn't follow through with it :eek: now I can't remember where/what it was and now I really need it.

What are some sites I could look on? For some reason I think the site has the word "Jenn" in it or something. Thanks!