NEED HELP FOR SCHOOL!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by furryrabidbunny, Aug 25, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I am using office for mac version x. My teacher has a website where we are supposed to download our worksheets. His main page links to a word document. The word document then contains the links to the worksheets, but I cannot open them or download them. I get the error "cannot open the specified file." please tell me there is a way i can download this stuff. I can link to the page if that is needed for help. Please help asap.

Attached Files:

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

What is the url of the links in the word document? If you don't know what this means, then just email me the word document at brenthobbs AT gmail.com

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Just as I thought....

Its your professor's fault. The links in the Word document are relative links, which means he didn't include the full link address. Those links probably only work on his own computer. I bet everyone in your class is having the same problem.

do you know the url of the word document that you downloaded, it should be something like:

http://....?Something?...../REL243%entry.doc

4. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

he linked the word document from the main page of the site. so it is the schools site/his site/the word document. I figured it was his fault because i was pretty sure office for mac could handle the hyperlinks. I am going to email him now about it.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Don't you love showing a professor how to do something???

6. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

it isn't even him. it's the stupid computer/tech people they employ that basically push tv carts all day.

7. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

can anyone give me a simple answer to give my teacher on what he did wrong? I really don't understand the ins and outs of word.

8. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Simple: "You're an idiot. Fix it."

Hmm, I can't think of any better way than that. Sorry. :(

9. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

When he enters the link in word he needs to enter it as "http://www.mywebsite.com/documentiamlinking.html (or .doc, or whatever type of file or page he is linking), where "mywebsite" is the address of the website where he is posting the file and "documentiamlinking" is the document or file he is posting. Hope that helps.