Need help from an über-experienced network guru...!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Littleodie914, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Alright. I should probably begin this thread by warning you all that this is a very unoportune setup, and that I should be shot for considering it. It's all I've got, though, so I have to make it work.

I have a PC, which is connected to the internet through dial-up. It is also connected to a router, and given the IP address 192.168.1.100. My iMac has the address 192.168.1.101, and my iBook is 192.168.1.102. The PC and iMac are connected physically into the router, in ports 1 and 2. (.100 and .101, I have DHCP setup)

We have AOL. Yes, I know. AOL for Mac is buggy, and quite unusable, especially for my technilogically un-advanced family. I hate to admit it, but AOL for PC is more much stable. I'm currently using AnalogX's "Proxy" application to route the ports so that I can connect to certain things by setting my iMac's proxies to go through (for HTTP) 192.168.1.100:6588. That's no big deal, I can surf the net just fine. I've even got Adium to work by forcing it to run through the HTTP port. A few things, however, DONT work. These include Acquisition (the P2P app), BitTorrent, and any type of online games. (WC3, Diablo 2)

Is there ANY way to use these programs? I've tried working through the router and enabling passthrough, port forwarding, you name it. It can't be done. I've tried Windows' built-in ICS options for my ethernet connection, which is how the PC is connected to the router, and enabled all the different types of ports, but none of them work. (Even the HTTP one.)

So as of right now, I'm limited to web browsing, very restricted downloads, and IM capability. I haven't even attempted to use Mail, I can only imagine how horrid that will be. My question to you guys is how I can get this all to work? Dial-up is currently the fastest internet available in our area, we're hoping DSL gets here soon.

To recap, I need to allow access through port 6346, and whatever other ports my apps need. AnalogX's "Proxy" only allows for 6 basic ports. (HTTP, FTP, SOCKS, etc.) How can this be achieved with my current setup? I apologize for the long-windedness of this question, and the confusion that will surely follow in its wake... It's late, and after 3 hours of fiddling with this darn thing, I'm exhausted :(

I appreciate any help you guys can offer, it'd help a bunch :) And if there's any part of my situation I didn't make clear, lemme know and I'll try to explain it better. TIA

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If its a router, guessing one of the million types that are 4 ports with wireless, why don't you plug the PC into the WAN port to share out the connection. Then the router is to act as a gateway for the two macs, will the PC is acting as the routers WAN/modem connection.

3. Symtex macrumors 6502a

When you use your browser, you have setup a proxy. So your browse knows where to make your HTTP request. Now when you use your router, TCP/IP routing tables tells your pc to make all your TCP/IP request thru the default gateway, which is not what you want.

If you have windows install on your pc, you can find a program that will PROXIFIED (or sockified if you use a socks server) any TCP/IP request to your Proxy server. Then you can configure the proper NAT to be forwarded to the pc playing WC3 or Diablo.

4. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... This sounds like something that'll work. It in fact does have a WAN port... Once the PC is plugged into that port though, do I have to enable port forwarding or UnDP (I know I spelled that wrong) forwarding on the router? Is there any extra configuring I should do? I'm not that literate when it comes to routers and ports and what-not, beyond the basics. Thanks for the help so far, I think we're heading in the right direction :)

5. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Enable ICS on the PC and hook it into the router. I'm not sure if it matters whether you use the WAN port or one of the other ports.

You may need to manage IPs manually to get this to work, but it should be pretty trivial once you get ICS working on the PC.

6. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hmm... I see the option to do that, but then will I need to also enable what ports the connected computers can use? Or will all of them be open? And can I really plug the ICS PC into any of the four normal ports, or does it have to go into the WAN port?

7. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I'm talking from memory of doing this a long time ago, so bear with me:

Enabling ICS should allow most standard web services (email, web, AIM, etc) through with no trouble. I'm not sure of other services (such as P2P, for example).

As for where you plug it in -- I'm not sure if WAN ports are wired backwards or not. You can always try it on the WAN (it *should* work) and, if that fails, move it to a regular port.

It's a game of guess and check, basically. Wish I could be more help.