Need Help from MacRumors Runners

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by furryrabidbunny, Jan 4, 2007.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I've been (consistently) running for the past five months now. I'm no marathon runner, I do about 1.5 miles to 2 miles a day, about five days a week. For the past two weeks though, I've sucked, and I can hardly run because of lower leg pain. Normally I run through it like everyone else, but it just doesn't go away and gets a lot worse. The pain though, seems to be coming more from my tibia than my calf. BTW, this is happening to my right leg. Today I stretched heavily and walked my normal path first to warm up, but it didn't help. Any tips on what to do?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Get new shoes. Are you running on asphalt? Maybe run for a little bit longer each day, but less days a week. :)

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Is it shin splints? I think it happens when you run fast or hard on a hard surface when you're not used to it. It happened to me a few weeks ago at Disneyland, we were running from Indiana Jones to Space Mountain. Just shows how out of shape I am :eek:.

It feels kinda like the bones in your legs are really messed up. But it happened to both my legs. It hurt to walk for a week.

According to Wikipedia, this it's caused by over-striding and landing hard on your heels. Try not to do this maybe? I don't run so I'm not sure.

4. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Cant afford new shoes...

I bought them about three months ago and spent as much as I could, however I am running on a very hard surface (concrete sidewalk). I've noticed that my strides are putting a lot of pressure on my back calves, it's almost like my legs are falling back.

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

if its too hard on the foot why not try doubling up on socks? or adding a better insole to your shoes

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you can't afford the new shoes then definitely run for longer, but less often. I run on asphalt and I need a day between runs to let my body recover. I've been doing this for years and sometimes I get overzealous and start running more often. All it means is that I hurt myself and end up having to take a week or so off. :(

7. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I did that early on, went way to long and hard and got runners knee when I tripped off a curb, and I was out for awhile. Quite honnestly, shin splints sounds accurate, maybe I should take more than a day's rest to recover.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay well it's almost definitely shin splints. Either give yourself some time off or try running on sand/grass for a while.

9. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I'm going to try to look for a better place to run, but unfortunately where I live not a ton of sand or large grassy areas to run in.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

mad jew hit on the first of 10 Good Tips for avoiding running injuries.

Here are the 10 tips: (added italics are from personal experience over time)

1. Invest in good quality running shoes for your foot type.

2. Be careful about increasing your workout or mileage too much too soon.

3. If you're a beginning runner, avoid difficult and hard runs.
    If your runs are taking in hills, that can make a big difference and take its toll.

4. Take a day or two of rest.
    This is intertwined with #10, but is difficult for highly motivated shakers and movers to adhere to. Your body may be speaking to you for some rest. It isn't always the wisest thing to "run through" pain.

5. Run slower and on softer surfaces.

6. Watch the camber on streets.
    The crown of the road is usually the best/level spot and, if you pronate, can help with that. The fact that the soreness is in your shins makes me wonder about #9

7. Stretch both before and after your workup, but warm up a little before stretching.

8. Do strength training exercises for the lower and upper body.

9. Also, watch your running form.
    I may wrong, but some of what you describe makes me wonder if you're not too much "up on the balls of your feet" during your run rather than settling in to a pace where your plant is more toward the back/heel?

Also, check your form. Your head should be up and shoulders should be squared vs. leaning forward or dropping your head down.

10. Listen to your body.

Good luck. Hope you find your way out and through it.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good point. I actually do the majority of my stretching halfway through my run. I do 2.5km, stretch for five minutes, then another 2.5km. I follow it up with sprints and laps of the pool, so I need to be quite well stretched. I find this works well for me.

12. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Swimming is like the ultimate, bestest thing there is to close down. No pounding on the legs and calls on all the right muscles. Living in 33°C in January has its advantages. :)

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It is pretty good in that it is low impact, but if the pool's cold then it can play havoc on your muscles which is why stretching is so important.

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The best time to stretch is after your muscles have had a chance to warm up. I notice you do that as do most track athletes, (i.e. jog a mile or two), then do some stretching before the hard part of their workouts. It's a good investment.

15. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I'd say it definitely sounds like the very common shin splints.

Honestly, there's not much you can do. They will get better if you take those people's advice, but some people just seem to get them more easily. But they aren't an actual injury- so you can pick how much discomfort you can live with. Are you bow-legged by any chance?

16. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny