Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JMart80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Hi All,

I was hoping for some help. A few weeks back my laptop HDD failed and with it went all my photos from the last 6 months. Fortunately they are all backed-up. Unfortunately they are all backed up on the seeming impenetrable fortress known as Apple TV. So I wonder - what is the easiest way I can get the photos off my Apple TV and safely back on my PC? I know some manner of hacking will probably be necessary but looking for something not too technical.

Thanks for the help!
Josh

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
You will need to enable an ssh access by using a patchstick. From there you can copy your files back.

you can find a tutorial at the awkwardtv wiki

PM me if you have more questions

JMart80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Thanks!

Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems that most patchsticks require Tiger. Do you know of any that I can create in Leopard?

Thanks again

Josh

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
Isn't it true, though, that the versions of the photos that are on the :apple:TV are optimized for it, and are lower res than the original photos?

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Tom,

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems that most patchsticks require Tiger. Do you know of any that I can create in Leopard?

Thanks again

Josh

You can also create it in Leopard. It is a bit more complex.
I sent you a PM.

JMart80

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2008
Thanks!

Hey All -

Thanks for the tip. I found the Tiger disks and was able to create a patchstick (after some difficulty because i was using 10.5.3) but used an older OS on a different Mac and it worked. now it is hacked and I would like to know how do i access the Apple TV HDD from my MAC?

Thanks!

Josh

nittany

macrumors member
May 21, 2008
Interesting question. I don't keep content on my aTV, but I thought it was designed to be able to synch with whatever machine you use to run iTunes.

Isn't your circumstance just like that of someone who purchased a movie directly from their aTV? In other words, it's on their aTV, but not on their Mac or PC? Under this situation, when the two machines synch, whatever is on one is placed on the other.

Again, I don't synch... I stream, so read up on this before trying it and potentially losing your content, but using the built in synch feature instead of hacking into the system (as fun as that might be) seems like it might be a little easier.

tom1971

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2007
Hey All -

Thanks for the tip. I found the Tiger disks and was able to create a patchstick (after some difficulty because i was using 10.5.3) but used an older OS on a different Mac and it worked. now it is hacked and I would like to know how do i access the Apple TV HDD from my MAC?

Thanks!

Josh

Either through terminal (ssh) or Fugu

Padraic

macrumors regular
Hey All -

Thanks!

Josh

This is from http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Install_SSH_with_Leopard:

Find your AppleTV by pinging it:
Code:
ping appletv.local
If nobody answers to appletv.local, you'll have to connect to it by its IP address which you can find in the AppleTV's setup menu.
Login to your AppleTV with:
Code:
ssh frontrow@appletv.local
The password, as shipped from Apple, is frontrow.

It might be a good idea to read through the wiki so you don't mess something up. I remember I had to browse around on the appleTV harddrive before I found all my pictures, but they are there, and in full resolution.

Padraic

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.