Need help - going to be on tv with my Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by winwintoo, Apr 5, 2005.

1. winwintoo macrumors 6502

I have an opportunity to pitch a series of tv shows to the local cable tv network and I need some help.

What I'll be doing is teaching basic Photoshop Elements - I have no problem with the elements stuff or the content of the shows.

What I don't know about is how they go about capturing my computer screen to broadcast it - do they take a feed directly from my powerbook? or do they aim a camera at the screen or some other way?

The cable company is pretty forward thinking, but I'm not sure what they have for equipment. Of course I could just call them and ask, but I'm kind of a backseat lawyer (never ask a question that you don't already know the answer to :D )

Has anyone else ever done this kind of thing?

I have SnapzPro to practice with and I can borrow a video cam if I have to produce my own shows (ouch) but there has to be a more professional way to do it.

Take care, Margaret

2. wilmor42 macrumors regular

wilmor42

u could use your video out, i dunno whether u hav a 12" or 15/17" , the 12" has mini dvi so u can connect an external VGA or DVI display or projector or whatever..
    if u have a 15 or 17" u'll be able to use you svideo output (i think thats what it is anyway..)

hope this helps chuck..

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hmm..

I wouldn't rely on Snapz Pro. Taking a video of your entire desktop would be unbelievably processor and HD intensive.

I would suggest hooking the powerbook up to an external monitor, hopefully one that scans so fast you won't see the scan lines on TV. Or use an LCD. And then mirror the 2, so what you do on the laptop is shown on the external LCD. And then train the camera on the external LCD. That way, you can do whatever you need to do, and never have to worry about doing to from a weird angle, or getting in the way of the shot.

At least, that's how I would do it.

4. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

It seems that you should be able to go straight from the laptop's video out to the studio's video switcher. You might need to get some sort of converter that converts VGA to whatever input their system uses, but this would be superior to aiming a camera at a second monitor.

5. winwintoo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the feedback - I have a 12", but I know that they have larger flat panels there so I should be able to hook up one of theirs if necessary.

I'm just using SnapzPro to practice my blabbing - not going to use it for production - It's an excellent product for the purpose it's intended for, but not for tv work.

I'm thinking that Moof probably has the right idea. I know they do a kind of help desk show for Windows users who call in, so they must be able to capture screens.

Take care, Margaret