Need help - have I been keylogged?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Azmodon, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Azmodon macrumors member

First, can Macs be keylogged? I've read that Macs aren't as vulnerable as PCs in regards to malicious software, but I don't know if that applies to keylogging programs as well. Second, if I have been, is there a way I can be sure? A scan or something? Third, if I do for sure have a keylogging program, how do I get rid of it?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

As far as I know, you can't, and there are no viruses for mac, apart from the big one you can put on by yourself : windows.

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Somebody else can install a keylogger... since there is nothing illegal about legal keylogger software. This can only be done by somebody that has admin access to your computer.

EDIT: If you install Windows, of course you are completely susceptible to Windows viruses while using Windows.

4. fimac macrumors member

Technically Macs are vulnerable to malicious software, be it through features of the GUI (e.g. input managers), file-system (e.g. resource forks), OS (e.g. file validation), kernel (e.g. mach object format) or, quite simply, unpatched bugs.

Don't Panic!

In practice, however, malicious software typically requires some user action to install. As always, use common sense: do not accept files or applications from untrusted sources, and always install security updates.

That said, it's true! :) Macs are less vulnerable than PCs: OS X is very secure when looking from outside.

Unfortunately applications are free to connect to whomever /wherever they wish. Because of this, you should install an application-firewall (such as Little Snitch).

The application-firewall will alert you when keylogger attempts to phone home.
    (Note: Some keyloggers record data for subsequent physical removal, so these will obviously not be detected with this approach.)

5. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well I think there is a couple common places you can check to see if they are installed I am not on a mac right now so i don't remember them at the moment but when i get home i will post some those folders they are sometimes installed too.