Need Help . . . I Think

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by UnivStudent, Sep 16, 2006.

1. UnivStudent macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I got my new Macbook about two weeks ago, I love it, am definatly a mac-convert.

I do however have one small problem with my Macbook. I have been turning it off overnight, and just noticed this thing (glitch, issue??) a few nights ago (I guess I did not do the same thing previously).

I selected the shut down option from the menu bar, then I shut the screen portion of the computer into the closed position. But it did not shut down the sleep light went on, the computer became unresponsive (I tried moving mouse, pressing keyboard and turning back on) and by the morning the battery was drained. The first time this happened I did not worry (the user's guide says that the sleep light comes on briefly during shutdown) so I went to bed and let it do its thing. When I turned it on the next day there was an error message, there were two options to choose from "details" or "cancel" (I think, or something similar), I pressed details (button said you could see details on error and send an error report) and nothing happened.

Even though I probably shouldn't have I tried it again last night (wanted to see if it was a one time occurance) and it did the same thing, did not shut down, sleep light on and battery drained by morning, same non functioning error message when turned back on.

My macbook shuts down normally, as long as I keep the screen open until it is fully shut down.

Opinions please, is this normal (I am thinking not), should I be worried, should I call Apple???

Thanks

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I know PCs that do this. Basically when you shut the lid, this tells the computer to sleep, whilst shutting down. So I guess it becomes confused, just leave it up till its shut down. Or don't shut it down.

3. UnivStudent thread starter macrumors newbie

Makes sense thanks, I'll be sure to let it shut down completly before closing the lid, I do not like leaving electronic devices on overnight, regardless of how safe they are.

Thanks again.