Need Help, I want to buy a iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by crazyjay, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. crazyjay macrumors newbie

    Jun 13, 2006
    I want to buy an iMac, Since January i have been wanting to make the switch from pc to mac. Last week alone i went to the apple store twice to test out what they have to offer. I currently have a dell that i had for over 3 years, it is about to go and is giving me more problems that is not worth fixing at this point.

    Ok so my question is will they be updating these iMacs they currently have for sale this summer? I want to take the jump and finally get a mac because i desperately need a new system. My only hangup is do i jump now or wait a bit more?

    I want to go buy everything at the apple store here in Paramus, NJ because i can also get a student discount but mostly because i want to get my new system right away.
  2. count chocula macrumors 6502a

    count chocula

    Apr 7, 2006
    noun. a particular place or position
    i would buy now. there will always be something newer and better around the corner. the average user (which i assume you are), wont gain much from a speed bump. true, they havent been updated since january, but the extra cpu speed wont mean much to most of us.
  3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604


    Mar 17, 2004
    I'm in the same boat. I just graduated from 2-year college and am going to a four year. My Pismo fell off a desk a few months back. My mother never lets me use her pretty PowerBook. I'm basicly Macless, and my 2.6 GHz P4 Sony VAIO running Windows XP is suffering from a terrible case of Windows rot. And with the 120 GB hard drive, I have no way to back up my data and reformat without using 24 DVD's...rofl.

    I'm strongly considering buying an iMac right now with the student discount and the "buy a new Mac, get a free iPod" deal. I don't listen to enough music to justify purchasing an iPod (all my music fits on an MP3 CD), but free, I'll take it, heck yeah :D I'd probably end up installing iPod Linux on it too, and use it for portable storage (so tiny...). I can see lots of uses.

    I am a power user however. I run Photoshop 7 on my Windows PC, but the Windows rot is getting so bad that my 700 MHz Pentium 3 Dell outperforms it (GUI lag and all that when loading images, huge pain). I have the Mac version of Photoshop 7 too, but you know, it's PowerPC...

    DarWINE supports Photoshop so I'd end up running the Windows version of Photoshop in Mac OS X through Darwine I think, or through boot camp, or running my Mac Photoshop through Rosetta. I have plenty of options. I'd also probably buy an EyeTV and get into DVD creation. I like performance.

    I intend to buy extra RAM via 512 MB for $45. mmmm.

    Should I wait to see if it is updated, or use the deal now? Do you think they will get updated before September (when the back-to-school deal ends)? The extra CPU speed will be nice, and extra GPU speed is even more important to me (the only reason I never bought a Mac desktop was my PC games).
  4. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816


    Sep 8, 2005
    London , UK
    iMac was updated in January so I would expect an update within the next couple of months, september at the latest.

    Think is any updates will be small, maybe 1GB of RAM in the higher model, something like that.

    If your get the use out of in the next couple of months go ahead and buy it.
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040


    Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    If you need it now, buy it now. I bought a new iMac less than a week ago, knowing full well that they could be updated in the next few months. There's always something better around the corner, but the few months you spend waiting will be months that you still have to deal with your old computer. If there was an Apple special event planned for next week, I would tell you to wait, but there's not.

    FWIW, The next big Apple event is in August (WWDC), and I personally don't think iMacs will see an update there. WWDC will probably bring Intel Power Macs along with the already announced presentation of Leopard. I'm guessing the iMacs will get updated in September at Apple Expo in Paris.
  6. amac4me macrumors 65816


    Apr 26, 2005
    First off, Congrats on your decision to make the switch

    Second, I expect Apple to update the iMac at sometime prior to the Holiday Shopping season. I say this because Apple refers to the current the Intel based iMac "Early 2006". You can view this at Apple's web site I'd bet that Apple releases an update, who knows we may see an update as early as August.

    Having said that, if you need a system now, I say go ahead and make the purchase. Apple has a great promotion right now for students that will allow you to get a free iPod after rebate.

    I hope my post doesn't discourage your purchase, I just wanted to let you know that there is a good chance that an iMac update will be released prior to the end of the year.

  7. Philberttheduck macrumors 6502a


    Mar 15, 2006
    HB, CA
    Looking at your needs, I'd say get it. Speed bumps'll be 2 and 2.13GHZ so I don't know if you're going after the 17 inch or 20 inch model. If you're after the 20, just get it now. Unless you can tell me that you notice a significant difference when playing a game or loading up the internet or creating a movie (ALL OF THIS WITHOUT 1GB+ Ram) between (essentially) .26GHZ, just get it now. I'd wait if you're looking at a 17.

    I love my iMac :)
  8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
  9. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Jun 30, 2005
    My opinion exactly. Just go for it. Especially considering that you desperately need the machine now.
  10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604


    Mar 17, 2004
    I don't desperately need the machine now, however. I'm just really itching for it with the poor performance of my Windows-rotted VAIO.

    I'm going to be taking Linear Algebra over the summer, no other classes. I won't need the iMac until September when I start my university classes.

    I see Merom/Core 2 Duo is due to come out in August. The offer expires early September. I can be patient. Should I wait?
  11. discoforce macrumors 6502a


    Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    Wait till just before the iPod deal is up and decide. Then make the decision, enjoy, and never look back. It's not worth driving yourself crazy, and once you get it you'll wonder why you waited so long. ;)
  12. mmulin macrumors 6502

    Jun 22, 2006
    buy whenever you like.. there is always something not right about it or everything right about it..

    i just got an old PB 12" for FCP since it will take too long for me waiting for somehting similar with intel inside (uuchh.. bad quote)
  13. kevin.rivers macrumors 6502a


    Dec 4, 2005
    You could always put in a Merom later. And sell off the Yonah. Considering there will always be people who bought the core solo mini to upgrade it to a core duo, I am sure it would sell pretty easily.

    This is my plan at least. Pending Merom is all it is cracked up to be.

    If you need it now though, buy it now. If not, wait. You will probably be happier.
  14. NeoMac macrumors regular


    Feb 10, 2006
    I purchased my iMac G5 from the apple store a little after the new Intel Macs came out. And I do not regret it at all. I purchased a refurbished model for $950. The only thing I have done to it was buy an isight camera and add another gig of RAM. This was also my first Mac. I have both a HP Widows laptop and my iMac and I use them both extensively. I do find myself using my laptop more for business type tasks and my iMac for entertainment sort of things. I like my HP laptop, but I love my iMac. I am planning on purchasing a macbook next year. I would recommend purchasing one. Check out the refurb store to see if you can get a better deal.

Share This Page