Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XFce

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
California
I downloaded a AVI video from googles website, clicked on the video but the video would not play. Quicktime opened the video along with a error message. The error message said that additional third party plug-ins are required to play the video that I was trying to watch. QTs website had a long list of links that lead to a bunch of 3rd party plug ins but there were too many to chose from, and I did not know which plug in to choose, Could someone please help me out ? Quick time is starting to annoy me, big time. First Quicktime is not compatible with WMV format now AVI is not compatible. Macs are awesome but they gotta find a way to make QT more extension friendly.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, well I agree that QuickTime's a little bit pathetic which is why I use VLC for the majority of my movies.

Alternatively, you can use a combination of plug ins to get QuickTime to play nicely with other formats. For the AVI, I guess you should start with DivX (the trial contains the free codec for you) and 3ivX. For the WMVs, try Flip4Mac. This still won't play the very latest WMVs, but thankfully there aren't an abundance of them around. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
mad jew said:
For the WMVs, try Flip4Mac. This still won't play the very latest WMVs, but thankfully there aren't an abundance of them around. :)

Unfortunantly he is on an Intel Mac and unless I missed it Flip4Mac is not availbale for us Intel owners yet :(

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
mad jew said:
Still? Wow, I would've thought it'd have been released by now. Sorry for being misleading. :eek:

It is still listed as "Coming Soon". As I have a MBP I am waiting for this so try and keep track of where it's at!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.