Need help making a file read only.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btcomm, Oct 22, 2006.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2006
    So I tried locking the file, it prompts me that it's locked but then allows me to overwrite it. So then I tried locking it on the read only settings, that seemed to work but then it created 2 additional files which I don't want. So then I tried using read only without locking it and it let me overwrite it again.

How can I make a file read only without extra files appearing? Or is that possible?
  2. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

May 6, 2006
    Leeds, UK
    Not sure what these extra files you are seeing are, i've never seen them myself. Unless you're refering to a .DS_Store file, which is created when browsing directories from a Mac.

The normal method to make a file read only is through the 'Get Info' pane. It's worth mentioning that you can still delete a file and thus replace it with something different even when it is read only. To prevent this the directory that contains it must also be read-only, rather than read-write [1]

Hope this helps a bit.

[1] The directory also needs execute permissions but it appears the 'Get Info' pane hides manages this automatically.
  3. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2006
    I have OS 10.3.9

I go to the get info window, I put it to read only. Then I check the box that says locked.

Then I open the file, I change it click save and it says, overwrite or don't overwrite, so I click overwrite and then it says couldn't save.

So far the files haven't appeared yet. Then I close the document, I click on don't save.

Then it creates another document with the same name but a ~ after the name. It also creates a file with a big number in this case 484-183250171-7.rft.

You might ask why am I clicking overwrite to a file I know I don't want to, but this isn't for me, it's so I can create a word template that cannot be modified for someone else that might accidently do that, sure I can save it in the locked and read only possition but I have a feeling they aren't going to like all the extra files that keep getting created.