Need help NOW!! :]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by kildraik, Mar 12, 2007.

1. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

I'm on the verge of buying a 450mhz/128mb/20gb Powermac G4...

For $50.

It works- Is this a good deal? The guy bought a PM G5 and has no need for it.

Thanks! Will

2. Mr. MacBook macrumors 6502

i guess it is, you can always upgrade the processor w/ better g4s and use external harddrives...
    go for it

3. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Yeah, as long as you don't get stupid and expect too much out of it. Once you start upgrading the ram and adding a HD you'll soon discover that it would have been cheaper to buy a mini.

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Its 50$ can you really go wrong? What do you plan doin with it anyway? Email, Internet, Chat or like a file server?

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you have the cash? Is that the going rate for those things on say ebay? Then go for it. What do you need us to tell you? I say buy it and if you're unhappy with your purchase then blame me. I'm ok with that.

6. T-Stex macrumors 6502

That sounds like an awesome deal to me. I'd jump on that before someone else does. It should be a perfectly capable machine for you to do a lot of stuff on, or just turn into a file server.

7. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

That's really bad advice. By the time you throw in that money it's going to cost more than a mini, with a fraction of the performance. If you buy this machine, just use it for small easy tasks and save your money for a better system, don't throw any money into it, that's the used car fallacy.

8. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It's actually a really good deal I don't know what these people are talking about. I had one of those as recently as last summer. It ran Tiger just fine. Safari, Word, etc...

If you don't want it tell me and I'll buy it. I need a second tower.

9. kildraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Just that- I'm going to put a 512mb stick in it, but otherwise I'll just be using it for e-mail, web browsing, some minor iTunes stuff, chat, and photo storage. Not much realy, but it sounded liek a screaming deal to me. It'll also make a nice 3rd mac- i've always wanted a tower just to even have one. You can get a PM G4 system thats less powerful for upwards of $200!

I bought an iBook g3 (Graphite, not Indigo- he messed it up, but it still had firewire) for $30. The only problem was the battery held no charge- no biggie though- i plugged it in and up starts OS 9.0.2! :D

Thanks for all the help, guys- I think i'll pick it up this week-