Need help on G3 upgrade options.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Drift3r, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Drift3r macrumors newbie

Hello everyone I am new here and I would like to know what I can do with a B&W G3. A friend just gave me a fully working B&W G3 and I would like to know what my up-grade options are in terms of bumping up the speed to past 450nhz to let's say all the way to 1 ghz or faster if possiable. I would appreciate links to websites were I could buy motherboards and any other G3 related upgrades or parts. I would like to be able to run Panther OS-X on it when all is said and done. Would this be possiable ?

P.S. Can I purchase PC 133 mhz ram and install it in this G3 with no problems ?

2. Mblazened macrumors regular

The RAM will run, but at 100MHz. The rest of the options, check on the web.

3. Drift3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Why is it that it will only run at 100mhz instead of 133mhz ? Also do you have any good links to retial sites ?

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I would recommend buying everything from OWC. They have cheap RAM, processor upgrades and anything else you might need. Also, you can go to this page and select your model of G3 and it will show you all the upgrades that fit only your model.

From what i see, the fastest processor you can get is the G3 900mhz for $250.

5. Drift3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ! :) Would that and ATI Radeon 7000 card, along with 256mb of memory card allow Panther to run nicely ?

P.S. What ever came about the that rumor about Apple putting out single cpu G5 mother boards ?

P.S.S Can a G4 motherboard fit in a B&W G3 case ? If so would I need to switch out the power supply ? I have seen cases and motherboards for G4's on Ebay. Could I build my own G4 using spare parts and a case which I would buy off ebay ? Would it be worth doing ? Again thanks for all the help people. I know I am full of questions but I am a Mac newbie.

6. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I suppose you could.. but what are you looking to do with this computer? that would help in making any suggestions.

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I have a G3/400 that I've upgraded recently.

Putting 512MB or more RAM into the machine would help a lot. Those machines can take 1GB of RAM and it will keep you away from virtual memory and accessing the hard drive for it. You can use PC133 memory instead of PC100 memory but since the system controller only knows one speed, it's not going to access the memory any faster.

I swapped the processor for a PowerLogix G3/800 upgrade and it works really well. OtherWorld Computing certainly has everything is one place and they do a good job.

You might want to read the other G3 upgrade threads that have been appearing recently.

8. Drift3r thread starter macrumors newbie

I want to see how far I can push in terms of up-grading this thing. I got this for free so right now I am wieghing my options in term of whether I should bother up-grading it or just donating it. If I can up-grade the hell out of it then I'll keep it. Of course I would really like to know if I could swap out a G3 board with a G4 board so I can get a AGP slot in it. If not then I'll settle for the OCW 900 upgrade though.

9. Drift3r thread starter macrumors newbie

Are you running Panther ? If so how is your preformance in Panther ?

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The performance is very good. I've only got 704 MB of RAM so it could be somewhat better. (I had 1GB but I traded two 256MB sticks with my dad, so he could play golf.) It hits the hard drive too often. On non-AltiVec things, it's about 7 percent faster than each G4 processor on my dual G4/800. :)

11. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

You could overclock the memory controler and hence make better use of the 133Mhz memory (how you would go about that on a mac I have no idea.)

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

If you want to get a G4 (which it sounds like you do), try looking at PowerMax. You can trade in that B&W and get a used G4 Tower for a fair price.