Need help on making best use of my Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by an00p, Nov 29, 2006.

1. an00p macrumors newbie

Hello all.

had the Mac for anbout 6 months now and have a few issues I need help on:

1) I have a .mac account. How do i clear my idisk in .mac. Managed to clear my idisk on my iMac but not on the server it seems

2) With .mac I have installed the backup application. I am the administrator on my mac with 3 user accounts created. Can I back up the private area of these 3 users?

3) As an administrator if I want to see the contents of files in there private area how do i do this.

4) My username and password seem to be the same as as the administrators username and password. Is this correct. Is the adminsitrator not know as Root?

5) what app/command can I use to check what spped my wireless internet is connected at and what speed my internet connection is connected at

6) finally any app to change the x (in top left corner) quit application instead of minimising?

Thank you all for your help

An00p

2. an00p thread starter macrumors newbie

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

1. I don't use .Mac, but I would assume you just drag the contents to the trash.

2. Again, I don't use .Mac. I am answering because I took pity on your "anyone?". Do you really have room on your iDisk to back up the full contents of 3 users? Think about buying an external disk drive and backing the whole machine to that.

3. 4. An administrator is definitely not /root on a Mac which is one of the reasons why it is so much more secure than Windows. It does not necessarily give you permission to look at other people private data.

5. Google for sites that measure your network speed, but the perceived speed of your connection often depends on what you are connecting to.

6. The red button closes that window but does not Quit the application. Macs tend to be better at handling multiple windows and applications, and Drag and Drop, than Windows. That is why Macs work this way. Quit from the Application menu, the Dock or by pressing (Apple) Cmd-Q. The yellow button minimizes, which between Expose and just clicking on windows, I don't use much.

You can search for all of this, but maybe it would help to buy a book. Best wishes.

4. Jame macrumors newbie

To clear the files on the server just go there and right click on the file you want to delete and click on the "Move to Trash". It will ask if your sure just answer yes.

5. teckman macrumors newbie

For #5. a)http://www.speedtest.net/index.php
    b)http://www.speedanywhere.com/test2.html

Hint:the cute one is the better of the two

For #6. Some Mac OS X native apps like Calculator, Activity Monitor, and Dictionary, and countless more, uses the red button x as a Quit prompt and not only for close window prompt I found out in Mac OS 10.4.8.
    Some don't.

The change could have been in Tiger(10.0.0) intro, but I've never noticed it until the the 10.4.8 update. I have been dazzle by the whatchamacallit the Exposé. You'll forget about minimizing.
    Check it out.

6. aquajet macrumors 68020

1. Not quite sure what you mean, but your iDisk is located on the server, not your local hard drive. To delete files, drag them to the trash.

3. You need to be logged in as root. The root user is disabled by default, but you can enable root using NetInfo Manager, located in your utilities folder.

4. No, administrators aren't the same as root.

5. You could try using this to test your throughput.

7. an00p thread starter macrumors newbie