Need help on upgrading G4

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zodiac, Mar 10, 2004.

1. zodiac macrumors member

I will be upgrading my dual 867 G4's processors to dual 1.25 sooner or later. I just need help on where to buy and how much would it cost. Is it hard to install it? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

go to eshop.macsales.com there you will find about 4 or 5 manufactors for upgrades. its pretty easy but do some homework before you buy.(powerlogix,Giga design,OWC and Sonnet I upgraded my g4 800 to a 1.47g4 but only one little problem its still a G.D. G4! yeah my performance went up but that was 8 months ago. Im looking for a dual G5 or some Alienware. Its a good way to get another year or two out of that quicksilver but its still (excuse me while I sleep motorola :mad: ) good luck

3. Opteron macrumors 6502

I find a brick works wonders.

The upgrades are rather pricy, you'd be better off saving your pennies and buying a new PM G5.

As a stop gap, buy 512MB DDR400 sticks, so that they will work to the full potential in any new powermac.

note: they will only work @ 333MHz in the G4 power mac. If your PM uses SD RAM, I wouldn't bother.

4. zodiac thread starter macrumors member

Would it be more expensive than a G5? The G4 already has a gig DDR of ram so thats pretty good. I just want to upgrade the G4 to get the most out of it. It'll be easy for me to save up for a G5, but that probably wont be till next year.

5. fussball macrumors regular

I think dual 1.25's would be about 700... you decide

6. Opteron macrumors 6502

While there will be a preformance gain. It won't be mind blowing. Also consider for $700US you could by a pretty reasonable PC (AMD 2500+, R9600GRFX card, 512DDR, 80GB HDD, and a top dollar mobo.)