Need help picking a brick for our new house...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nospleen, Mar 10, 2007.

1. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

Hello,

My wife and I just put a contract on this home and we have until Monday to pick an exterior brick. It was planned for stone, wood floors, granite counter tops, etc... We had to cut back to get to an agreeable price with the builder. Anyway, we are leaning toward a white brick to keep it looking like a simple, country home. But, I am afraid it may look too plain.

The hardiplank is like a sage green color. Anyone have any ideas? I hate to pick the wrong one and hate the home before buying. Not to mention lose my 3k non refundable deposit...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

any links to the choices by any chance?

personally i'd go with a rustic looking red/white mix. if that makes any sense.

edit something like this

3. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I wish, I haven't even seen the showroom. We are going on Monday to see and pick out the same day. But, they will order any color choice that we want even if they do not have it in the showroom. I just have no clue what looks good with a sage green. I wish it was painted tan and I would pick a red brick. I just haven't a clue what looks good with green.

I agree with you, I think the white keeps with the style of the house. I just know there is no going back once we decide.

edit** I saw the link. I kind of like that one, maybe a bit on the pink side though. I really liked the house though, lol.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

here is a house with a tan colored brick with green shingles. doesn't look too bad

edit again: a bit more red

5. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I like that last brick a lot, I wonder how well it will go with the siding... I wish I had a program where I could load in the pic and change bricks out.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not too red, and the house isn't too deep of a green. so it shouldn't look too bad.

if anything... open both up in Photoshop or some such and edit them in together to get an idea. not the best. but it'd help. ;)

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd pick a grey colour. Light grey would be OK, but I'm thinking grey or dark grey.....like the colour of some rocks.

8. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i work for a brick manufacturer, so i know lots about brick. ;)

i'd go for something in the pink/medium red range...plain white or gray is going to look too washed out, IMO. if you're going for rustic, a "tumbled" brick may be what you're looking for.

who's your brick retailer? i may be able to give you some examples to look for if i know the name of the distributor.

there are a bajillion kinds of brick out there...maybe i can help you make some sense of them all. :)

9. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Red brick is out I would go grey or white but dont be biased towards hardiplank, its a great product that lasts a 100 years. I think hardiplank looks better and can allways be painted any color. edit also congrats nothing like a new house

12. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

I think we can safely say that red is out... My wife has also voted no red, so that ends that, lol. I like the gray idea though.

13. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

well, you seem set on gray, so i won't bother giving you suggestions for any of the rosy colors. :eek:

could you possibly find something very similar in color to the rest of your house that you could take along to the showroom? it would be very helpful in picking the right color brick. also, i'm sure that whoever they have working in the showroom will be very helpful...remember, they do this for a living and like to see happy customers! :p

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Sandstone , sand or blue-grey slate color would look cool with the sage green you have up already.

Even a gold brown brick would look sweet. a number of heritage houses here use not traditional brick colors, there is one that uses blue : from paris blue all the way to navy blue. If it stops raining for more than 5 min I will go out and take pictures of these houses.

16. Aeolius macrumors 6502a

We chose Pine Hall Brick's Oyster Pearl brick, for our home. Here's the house , towards the end of consruction.

17. nospleen thread starter macrumors 68000

nospleen

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: That is beautiful!!

Well, it looks like we are not going to get the house afterall. My wife and I had the appointment set on Monday to finalize the colors and the deposit. Well, my wife did some research on the school system in Lytle, Texas, and was not too happy with the results. It seems the kids are not testing well and that the school system is way under budget. I really, really like this house too.:( But, I just cannot afford to send them to a Private School at this time. So, it seems the search continues. Sorry for the false alarm!

18. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

wow...i'm sorry to hear that! but at least your kids won't get stuck in a sub-standard school system!

remember, things happen for a reason...obviously there's a better house just waiting for you guys somewhere! :)