Need help picking DV Camcorder.

Discussion in 'Community' started by iN8, Jul 17, 2003.

1. iN8 macrumors regular

I've been researching DV cameras for about a month now and can't decide now between the three I have narrowed it down to. I have a baby on the way, so I have to get it done now.

I have chosen based on the best feature set in my price range ( $650-700).

Here they are in the order I prefer:
    1) Canon Optura 20
    2) Sony DCR-TRV22
    3) Canon ZR70

If anyone has any experience with any of these cameras that could sway me either way, I would appreciate your input.

Many thanks,
    iN8

2. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Hey,

I was just going through the list of threads and came across this one. I noticed no replies so I thought I'd give you my 2 cents.

I have a Canon ZR20 DV camcorder and I'm really happy with it. I also have a PowerShot G2 digital camera that takes great stills. If you don't have a digital camera, I'd recommend the one with the highest megpixels. Doesn't the Optura have a 1.3 megapixel rating? In fact, that was the one I wanted but I simply couldn't afford it at the time.

Camcorders are a must with little ones on the way. (I have two kids- 4 months and 20 months.) And iMovie is great.

Congratulations and good luck.

Squire

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Although I don't have expierience with these particular models I have come to find that you really get your money's worth with a sony.

4. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Sony's have the tendancy to be bad in low light situations - though mine works pretty well outside during the day. I own a Sony DCR-TRV330.

I second the Canon G2, its a great camera.

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I've already said this and I'll say it again. The best camcorder in that price range is the Panasonic PV-GS70. You can find it for about $750. What makes this camcorder so great is because it has 3CCD's which makes an amazing picture. I have on myself and I absolutely love it.

P-Worm

6. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I have a Canon ZR40 and couldn't be happier with my choice :)

7. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Hmmm. Traditionally the 3 CCD camcorders have been much larger. Definitely not the case with this one. Looks nice and compact.

Squire