Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kamachi923

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
I am in the market for a sleeve for my new macbook air. I have been doing some searching and I think I have narrowed it down to either the Waterfield Travel Express or the Timbuk2 Escape. I am bascially looking for a sleeve style case that has room for the power adapter and maybe a slim mouse. It will mostly be in my backpack but would like it modular for when I want to take it out and use my backpack for other stuff. I was also hoping for a vertical version but haven't seen any yet that also are slim and have room for the power adapter. If any body has any suggestions on either of these or knows of a different case that is vertical please let me know. thanks.

ShrubbySoup

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
UK
I have had a look at the two that you said and personally if you are an older person the the first one but if you re in school or in 20's them the second one

LYFK

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Crumpler sleeve, all the way. It doesn't have compartments for your other stuff, but it's slim and protective. I would store your adapter and mouse in a separate compartment in your backpack. Otherwise, InCase has a leather sleeve with an exterior neoprene compartment that should work fine.

MikeFromTexas

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2010
for what you're after i'd go with the Timbuk2. Can't stand SF Waterfield bags, they're great if you're over the age of 50..

Over the age of 50 -- guilty. Like Waterfield bags -- guilty. Do you know me?:D

Anyway, to the OP. The Express bag is NOT particularly thin. I have it and it is fairly bulky as it is also designed to house the Apple bluetooth keyboard. Works well for that, but it is not "slim".

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
I've got what I think is a now discontinued Timbuk2 case that has a small main compartment that is fabric lined and padded, a tough bottom panel and a separate front flap compartment, handles and detachable shoulder strap. It's ideal for the 13" air and has enough separate space to carry the charger and other assorted goodies. It looks professional enough, but not stuffy or cheap like so many of the laptop bags out there.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
You should check this one out:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Incase+...3&skuId=4407743&st=incase heathered&cp=1&lp=1

I bought it and it's nice and slim yet feels protective enough, plus it's got a side sleeve which I put the power supply in (a mouse would fit too). Compared to the others you were looking at, this one has a much slimmer profile and nicer look yet will still meet your criteria. I returned it though, as I wanted something with handles.

You may also want to check this one out:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4861LL/A/level8-13-world-sleeve-for-macbook-air

Or if you want handles, this is the only one I've found:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...?n=macbookair13&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&s=topSellers

It is very well-made. The only problem was that it's slightly too big. I mean the MBA slides back and forth a little bit when it's inside, but it would fit a MacBook Pro perfectly. The Apple site does not distinguish this on the product description, yet it shows up when I click on MacBook Air sleeves... so that's kind of annoying. But if I put my iPad in the side pocket, everything was nice and snug exactly how I wanted it. I bought this one too but I'll be returning it and continuing my search for a handled one :(

In the meantime, I've ordered this one:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1186480/

It doesn't meet your criteria (no pockets), but it looks really nice (I ordered black/aqua) and it seems to have very high remarks on this form, so I gave it a shot. It should be arriving tomorrow, can't wait to see it :D
It should be great for times I don't need to take the charger, as well as just general storage around the house.

I'm still looking for a handled case (for travel) that is very slim (made for the Air), and has a side pocket big enough to hold the iPad if necessary... I just have yet to find one that fits the bill. The LEVEL8 one I posted above is close, but I didn't like the fact that it slides around if the MBA is inside alone...

My search continues!

Last edited:

Beanoir

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2010
51 degrees North
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1186480/

It doesn't meet your criteria (no pockets), but it looks really nice (I ordered black/aqua) and it seems to have very high remarks on this form, so I gave it a shot. It should be arriving tomorrow, can't wait to see it :D
It should be great for times I don't need to take the charger, as well as just general storage around the house.

I'm still looking for a handled case (for travel) that is very slim (made for the Air), and has a side pocket big enough to hold the iPad if necessary... I just have yet to find one that fits the bill. The LEVEL8 one I posted above is close, but I didn't like the fact that it slides around if the MBA is inside alone...

My search continues!

I was going to say, I have a Joli sleeve for mine, it really is a lovely well made item, and i'm just about to order my g/f a sleeve for her iPad (have also got a case for my iPhone and bought my brother one for Christmas).

No pockets or handles, but still highly recommended.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.