Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Been looking everywhere for answers and hoping all you smart people can help me.

Am unable to receive any incoming photos. Text comes through, photos can't be downloaded.. I have auto-retrieve enabled. I even got GO SMS Pro and it doesn't work on that either.

And worse is If I take a pic and try to send it via messaging, I get the following popup:

"No network connection. Mobile data is disabled. This message will be sent when mobile data is enabled."

I have to enable 4G in my house that has wifi in order to text a picture???????? I have a limited data plan. That is so not going to happen. (Sorry, upset at the moment).

i hope I am just missing something and there is a fix for this. Messaging with pictures is a big part of what I do with a smartphone.

Help please!

Opstech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2010
California
If its an ATT service you'll need to switch your plan to a smart phone plan. They'll keep your settings. or you can change the APN settings

appledes7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
Have the same problem every now and then with my Nexus 4 on AT&T.

I have also seen others with Android phones on AT&T encounter this issue. Although I am not sure if it is limited to AT&T, but this is definitely not the first time I have heard someone have an MMS problem with Android.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
http://www.4gtricks.com/2012/11/att-apn-4g-settings.html?m=1

Thanks so much for trying. Followed all the instructions and whe I clicked on Access point Names, it brought up AT&T Phone only. No 3 dots. Clicking on AT&T Phone took me to the edit screen and it is greyed out. My phone is not unlocked :(

Going to pay a visit to the AT&T store tomorrow.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Thanks so much for trying. Followed all the instructions and whe I clicked on Access point Names, it brought up AT&T Phone only. No 3 dots. Clicking on AT&T Phone took me to the edit screen and it is greyed out. My phone is not unlocked :(

Going to pay a visit to the AT&T store tomorrow.

Go back to that screen and tap the menu soft key to the left of the physical home button. That should bring up a menu where you can add a new APN.

*edit* One of the things I've figured out in my time using Android phones...if people send multiple pictures in the same message, you're going to get something that looks like a slideshow. They need to send one picture at a time. Sometimes, the pictures won't download properly if they type in text with the picture...they need to send the message and any accompanying text separately.

It's annoying, but the problem is that carriers like AT&T gave Apple this sweet deal when it came to MMS. This is definitely a network issue, not a phone issue. Until those of us using Android phones make a big enough stink about it to the carriers, it's never going to change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.