Need help quick!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Macaddicttt, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Okay, so I'm at work and I need to somehow transfer a somewhat large file (26MB) to my computer at home. How can I do this? All my computer here has is a CD-ROM drive and a floppy drive. I was going to first use my iDisk, but the iDisk Utility for Windows XP won't work on my computer at work. I guess the company has something in place that's blocking it. Then I tried using Yahoo! Briefcase, but it has a filesize limit of 5MB. Does anyone have any ideas? Is there any free file-hosting out there? I have two hours to figure this out. I really don't want to have to stay late...

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

This is almost TOO easy...
    Go to Mac.com, click Help, click iDisk from the pull-down menu, click Opening your iDisk, click Opening your iDisk from Microsoft Windows, and follow the directions listed for Windows 2000 (they work perfectly on Windows XP should the iDisk Utility fail - I do this all the time).

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

They don't work for me at work either. I cannot connect to the outside work on ANY port. The only way to connect out is via the official internal web proxies (port 80, will drop all non http traffic) or via email (via Exchange Server only). I have not found any way round this.

4. pigbat macrumors regular

Can you connect out through FTP? If so, send me a PM and I'll let you use my ftp server.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

What about gmail? could you set up a temporary gmail account and transfer it that way? How big is its attachment limit? If it's something more like 5 or 10 MB, you could use a windows utility (I don't know what one--whatever their equivalent of stuffit is) to break up the file and send it in separate messages.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Use a program like WinRar to split the files up into 5 megabyte segments and upload them to yahoo briefcase. The only thing is, Im not 100% positive if theres a Mac program to unzip and join segmented files

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

StuffIt Expander can do this. It comes with all Macs that shipped with some version of Mac OS X (and quite a few pre-Mac OS X Macs too).

8. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Thanks for all your replies. Unfortunately they didn't really work. I found out we have the capability to put up an FTP server here, so the IT guys are fixing one up for me right now. Thanks again.

9. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

10. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

But hotmail has a limit on single emails too.

Here is your solution:

yousendit.com

You can use it to transfer files up to 1Gig!

11. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Thanks I never knew a program like that existed. :)

12. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Very cool! Thanks for the tip.

13. Macaddicttt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Wow, that's pretty cool...