Need help remembering some old cartoons

Discussion in 'Community' started by Thomas Veil, May 19, 2004.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Here's one for some of the older members of the board:

Years ago, there was a series of Hanna-Barbera cartoons about a small yellow duck who was being pursued by an alligator who wanted to eat him. The gag with the alligator was that he was a parody of Alfred Hitchcock. Whenever he was introduced at the beginning of the cartoon, there'd be a silhouette of him, and then the alligator would walk into the silhouette, face the camera and say in that droll Hitchcock voice, "Good evening...". I think they even played the Hitchcock music.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the alligator. I think the duck was called Yakky Doodle. They really didn't make too many of these; they weren't nearly as popular as Huckleberry Hound, et. al. Yet they always used to crack me up because of the Hitch parody.

Then, from a completely different studio -- Warner Brothers -- I recall two chipmunks who were ridiculously polite to one another. Even when being chased by an animal, they couldn't run away without going, "After you, my dear chap." "Oh, no, I insist, after you."

They were not Chip and Dale. Those are two Disney chipmunks. These guys, as I said, were part of the Bugs Bunny pantheon of characters, and like Yakky Doodle (or whoever), they were only "occasional characters", never really being a part of any running series.

So...anybody know more about any of these guys?

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I thought they were groundhogs. I seem to remember them tunneling and stealing Elmer's produce.

3. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's them all right. Thanks!

(You mean somebody has devoted a whole web site to those guys???)

4. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Heh. You name it and its a pretty good bet the web has some gallery on it.

Example:

ToothPick Gallery

5. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

g30ffr3y

so the gophers names werer

mac & tosh...

macintosh...

hmmm...

apple propoganda all around...

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I know. I thought he was kidding until I clicked the links!

No kidding. :cool: I shoulda just Googled it before asking here.

Yakky Doodle:

[​IMG]

Alfy Gator (that was his name!):

[​IMG]

7. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

that's some amazing carving. i wish they had better pictures.

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't really remember the bird. After seeing the gator I do remember him. Though not a real favorite of mine.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think these two were also on the Hanna Barbera show with Yogi Bear later on, right? BTW, that running pic of the birdie would make a gangsta avatar. :)

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

side effect of cheap animation techniques: they make great animated GIFs decades later ;)

I loved those chipmunks, i always assumed Disney remade them into Chip/Dale, never thought of the fact that they're not disney characters. I used to have some tapes of them, my grandma went nuts buying me old cartoons once.

The only one i really didn't like was huckleberry hound... it was just, i don't know, too slow and southern.

Anyone remember the (surely acid-induced) dance parties that all these characters did in the 70s? As well as a space-race special... I must have seen both of those a thousand times.

Maybe they were really shows, not specials, that would explain a lot. But, how did they make a show about cartoon characters assembled in a disco?

ah, memories.

paul

11. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Two of my other favorite WB cartoon characters were Sam and Ralph. You remember them. Sam was a big sheepdog, and Ralph was a wolf (basically a dead ringer for Wile E. Coyote). Ralph was always trying to steal the sheep Sam was guarding, and, like Wile E., Ralph always ended up getting flattened. The funny gag was that they clocked in together early in the morning ("'Mornin', Sam." "'Mornin', Ralph."), spent the entire working day trying to beat the crap out of each other, and then when the whistle blew at quitting time, they clocked out and went home like friendly co-workers ("'Night, Sam." "See you tomorrow, Ralph").

[​IMG]

12. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    I never really got into Hanna-Barbara cartoons when I was a kid (totally agree with paulwhannel's take on Huck Hound...booooooooor-ing), but I always sat up and paid attention when Snagglepuss showed up. Oh, that foppish, devil-may-care attitude - and that VOICE! :p Oh, and 2 Thumbs WAY Up for Mac & Tosh...LOVED those guys!

Attached Files: