Need help replacing my TV with an iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Balli, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Balli macrumors 6502

I want to replace my TV with the new 24" iMac. I know I can watch terrestrial TV with this product from Elgato:

But I was just wondering how do I connect my games consoles to the iMac? Is it possible to get an adapter that allows me to convert a Component Cable to either FireWire or USB, etc?
  2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Yes, there are several products that convert component signals into a firewire DV stream or some other similar format. I'm pretty sure even some of the other EyeTV products do this--check out their website.

But... I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of them introduce a very slight lag between the input signal and what's on the screen. It's ordinarily totally un-noticible, but with gaming the timing is so sharp it could well make the game unplayable.

I could be mistaken--it's entirely possible that some of the newer products are lag-less--but it was certainly an issue when I tried this with the DV codec box I have.
  3. Fedge macrumors regular

Aug 9, 2006
    The new EyeTV250 is advertised as having zero lag. They did this specifically for console gaming. Appears to work great.