Need help replacing my TV with an iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Balli, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Balli macrumors 6502

I want to replace my TV with the new 24" iMac. I know I can watch terrestrial TV with this product from Elgato:

http://www.elgato.com/index.php?file=products_eyetvdtt

But I was just wondering how do I connect my games consoles to the iMac? Is it possible to get an adapter that allows me to convert a Component Cable to either FireWire or USB, etc?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes, there are several products that convert component signals into a firewire DV stream or some other similar format. I'm pretty sure even some of the other EyeTV products do this--check out their website.

But... I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, of them introduce a very slight lag between the input signal and what's on the screen. It's ordinarily totally un-noticible, but with gaming the timing is so sharp it could well make the game unplayable.

I could be mistaken--it's entirely possible that some of the newer products are lag-less--but it was certainly an issue when I tried this with the DV codec box I have.

3. Fedge macrumors regular

Fedge

The new EyeTV250 is advertised as having zero lag. They did this specifically for console gaming. Appears to work great.