NEED HELP RETRIEVING FILE

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Espnetboy3, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Is there any way possible to get back a file I deleted last week from my trash!

2. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I don't think there is. I know there are third-party apps like TechTool Pro than can recover data, but I don't know of anything that will recover files without being installed when the file was deleted. I may be wrong, and I hope, for your sake, I am.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Assuming you didn't do a secure delete, where the section of the hard drive containing the file is randomly flipped with ones and zeros, there is a possibility of recovery, albeit with a 3rd party utility. Don't no of any personally, but there should be a few programs that a simple Google search would turn up. Good luck...

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Data Rescue X http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php is the program to get for data recovery BUT they specifically disclaim ability to recover files which have been deleted from trash on an OSX machine, because OSX overwrites the files' sectors on the hard drive quite quickly after deletion.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

You could try this. I've never used it - perhaps someone who has can chime in.

But it's going to be unlikely that something deleted over a week ago would still be recoverable...

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Gonna take a lot of hard work and help from a real computer geek to accomplish this. Good luck, but it can probably be done... unless it has been overwritten completely.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Switzermac macrumors regular

8. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

It was raw footage I had on my slave drive. I deleted it thinking i would do a log and capture of the good takes again instead of having this huge file. Thats why and how it got deleted buddy. Everyone else thanks for the posts, very apreciated.

9. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

Obviously so he could post here and ask how to recover it. What a stupid question.

I remember when I got Norton Anti-Virus there was some software included with it which did data recovery. And to my surprise I ran it (out of curiosity) and there were files there that I had deleted about 2 weeks prior. Unfortunately, I just can't remember what the software was called. I got rid of Norton not long after I bought it. I'll see if I can find its name.

EDIT: Okay, I'm starting to think it was Norton UnErase which is part of Norton Utilities. Don't know whether it will work or not but it's another option I guess. Good luck with it.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Chances are high that it's gone. You should be looking on your back up for it.. you DO have a back up, right?

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your experience was under OS9, was it not?

Several important differences:
    Norton Utilities and Systemworks should never be used on an OSX system. There is a real chance of catastrophic destruction of data if NU c rashes while "repairing" or "optimizing" an OSX drive

OS9 is inherently more recoverable than OSX because the deleted files' sectors of the drive are much less liable to be overwritten by the OS.

Many file recovery programs require you to have been running a monitoring program all along, BEFORE your crash/erasure event. The software maintains independent lists of current and deleted files, which it uses to retrieve the infromation when the OS's catalog has been altered.

This backup list isn't available to use on a deletion or crash when you haven't been previously running the program.

12. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I was actually running OSX. And that's why I got rid of it very quickly. The person in the shop recommended it to me and then problems started happening so I retured it and ran away. Still virus free!!

So the recovery was also done in OSX. That said, I remember the options of files I'd previously deleted were a little erratic. Some older files were there but newer ones weren't.

Oooo, now that you mention it, in order to run the Anti-virus is was required to reboot as OS 9 (possible with that iMac). So maybe that was how the data recover was done too. Oooo, now I'm confused.