Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krs1demian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Seattle
Hi Guys,
I'm not new to visiting MacRumors, but I haven't been very active in the Forums section. I recently decided that I need to get rid of my iMac and go back to what worked for me, a laptop. I only bought the desktop when my college laptop (Macbook) pooped out on me after ~7 years of hard use. Don't get me wrong, I have thoroughly enjoyed my desktop, but I know that I'm not using it anywhere near it's full capability and I need increased mobility.

the specs (originally paid over $2k):

27" iMac (Late 2012)
3.4 Intel Core i7
16 GB RAM
1TB Fusion Drive
wireless keyboard, mouse
original packaging, including the dust cover

pristine condition!

Do you guys have any ideas as to where I might be able to get this in front of an better audience? I'm not trying to get more than it's worth, but I have listed it on CL at $1450 obo and haven't gotten a single bite! I'm just trying to sell it and get as much to put toward a Macbook Pro.

Any suggestions?! Is pricing off?

Wyvernspirit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
Massachusetts
Doing some quick sleuthing the price seems pretty good as far as the model goes... But I didn't check CL specifically. Have you lloksed through CL to see what similar computers are going for? It could be the location of the sale that is causing you issue.

Reactions: krs1demian

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
I had the same one, sat on CL for a good 2 months before I decided to drop the price to 1250. I told them I literally just wanted to get enough money to purchase a macbook for myself that same night for school and it worked for me.. Had to lose 200 off the price I asked for

krs1demian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
Seattle
Thanks for the input all. I'll probably drop the price down to $1200 and see if that helps at all. My dreams of selling it for enough to buy the MacBook Pro outright are pretty much going to stay dreams it would seem.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the input all. I'll probably drop the price down to $1200 and see if that helps at all. My dreams of selling it for enough to buy the MacBook Pro outright are pretty much going to stay dreams it would seem.
I just received an email from best buy saying all of the MacBooks are on sale, and if you or anyone in the family is currently a student you just have to order online and you can get 100 off

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
i just re-listed the computer for $1199. We'll see how that goes.

Which GPU does the iMac have? I have this same machine with the 680MX and 24GB RAM and thinking I'll probably need to sell in the near future, but will be very bummed if $1200 is the current rate for the machine (eBay has prices all over the place).

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
Right now it is not a good time to sell. Best time to sell is Feb-Apr because of tax returns, August because the start of school year, and maybe around Christmas time.
Plus the days of getting 70% of the new cost for your 2 or 3 year old Mac are long gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.