Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Fellow Mac users,

I've been approached by an organization that wants to use five digital photos I shot for a photo wall in a multi-year exhibition. The pictures are available at a resolution of 1600x1200 pixels. They want the copyright for that purpose.

I am willing to grant them the copyright for the purposes of that exhibition and told them I'll still need to get the permission from the people displayed on the photos.

But I'm really stumped regarding the price: How much I should charge them? I don't have any experience with selling photos, so I'm thankful for any advice.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
I haven't really sold any either, but I guess that it really depends on the exposure that the images are going to get and how much money the organization already has. If it is your first sale, you would want to sell at a pretty cheap price so that the organization would be likely to recommend you for more. After you are in more demand, jack up the price a little bit.

federalists

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2004
Mountain View, CA
i'm not sure you even want to sell them the copyright. you should license it to them instead. an unlimited license even, but i would keep the copyright. otherwise, you would need their permission to display the photograph, even as a portfolio of your work. there was a similar slashdot article about this:
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/14/1455222&tid=187&tid=98&tid=4
lots of stuff to read, but there's some good info in the comments. i'm not sure what to charge though...i just don't want to see you lose the ability to display your own work in the future. got to protect the artists!

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
I agree about the copyrights versus licensing thing, you should try to keep the copyright.

If I were to be approached like that, I wouldn't charge anything less than $1,000-$2,000 US Dollars.

Lee Tom

Phyte

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2004
Just for future reference my photo hosting website will have a gallery feature for semi-pro and professional photographers. This allows you to set a price on your photo, and use our merchant account to accept credit cards. For $24/year you can sell unlimited photos through our system. That package gives you unlimited photos and unlimited bandwidth. The $10/year package allows upto 1000 photos and unlimited bandwidth but restricts gallery access to only 10 photos a year. I wrote the entire site on my tibook so yes it's mac compatable :)

Phyte

http://www.onclickpix.com

yahooz

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2004
go post your question/thread in the "pro digital" forum of fredmiranda.com, you will have much greater luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.