Need help setting up a wireless network.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by raynegus, Sep 25, 2004.

1. raynegus macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2003
    I'm going to be temporarily moving in with a colleague. I'll only be taking my new 15" powerbook (my first laptop, I'll get it next week). It will have an airport card installed.

My colleague has an old desktop PC with a DSL connection. There is no wifi network set up.

My question is what is the easiest way set up a wifi network there? If possible, I'd like to avoid installing a card on his PC. I'll only be living there for about 4 months.

I noticed that the Apple Airport Extreme (not Express) has a two ethernet jacks. Could I just plug his PC into one of these? This is not the same port that the DSL modem would use, it looks like a way to hook up a computer without installing a wireless card.

If this is the case, how hard will it be to get his PC up and running? Does Apple provide software for hooking up a PC this way? I know nothing about PCs and don't want to muck with his computer too much. I just need a temporary solution. Maybe I could just split the signal coming out of the DSL modem and plug one end into his PC and the other into an Apple Airport Express (for use with my powerbook), or would it not work that way?

Any suggestions appreciated.
  2. Darbydoggy macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2004
    Buy a much cheaper lynksis or netgear wireless firewall router (~$59). You can plug the dsl modem output into it and then it can feed the wired computer (it will have several ethernet outputs) and broadcast to your powerbook. There will be several security options that you can set up for your wireless to make it a more closed network (or not if you don't care about sharing).
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    If the computers are going to be near each other when the PC needs the internet, you could also share the laptops WIFi signal over ethernet, and connect that way.