Need help setting up remote desktop.

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by cablebob1, Sep 12, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2008
    I just upgraded to a macbook from a dell. I'd like to set up my mac to be able to control my dell at home when I'm on my macbook somewhere else. Can anyone tell me what to do or where to start?? Thanks
  2. macrumors 601

Aug 15, 2005
    There is a lot to this (more than you probably imagined at first).

1. Considering you most likely have a dynamic IP, you need to register with a dynamic DNS service, such as or You will need to install an agent on the Dell so it will keep the hostname updated with the correct IP, in case your IP changes at some point.

2. Set your Dell to a static IP on the internal network and enable remote desktop (Right-click My Computer -> Properties -> Remote tab -> Enable second checkbox (allow remote users...).

3. Then you need to configure your router to allow TCP port 3389 through it and to the new static IP of your Dell.

4. Now get the Terminal Services client from Microsoft and connect to the hostname you configured in your dynamic DNS service (step 1).

Note that when you connect via Remote Desktop to WinXP, the console locks. This means only one person can use that Dell at any given time.