Need help setting up used iMac G5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by strohdaddy, Oct 15, 2006.

1. strohdaddy macrumors newbie

I'm a musician and decided to take the plunge and buy an iMac G5 to run my recording software...i bought a used iMac G5, 1.9GHz, 1 GB RAM.
    The computer was pretty much unplugged, packed, and mailed to me, so it has all of the old user's settings and preferences...i would like to wipe the slate clean - new passwords, registration, myself as administrator, etc.
    Can I do this by re-installing OS 10.4.2 ? (the original discs were sent with the computer)
    Do I need the previous owner's password to do this?

Any advice you guys might have would be greatly appreciated...I'm a newbie to the whole Mac world, and want to get this sorted out quick so i can get back to making some music...

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yes, You'll want to reinstall OS X Tiger. I believe it might ask for the password, (not sure, haven't reinstalled in a while). You're going to want to get in contact with the seller to get the password if it does (obviously;) )

Kevin.

PS: We basically have the same iMac:)

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Here you go...basically just pop in the disc and follow the instructions. You'll want to do an Erase and Install in order to wipe off all of the old info. You don't have to go crazy with the erasing...a minimum number of passes will be good enough.

4. stagecustom macrumors regular

if he has a password you can boot from the CD (holding down C i believe) and then going to the utility program in the menu, and you can go to passwords and change or erase them without having the original. Then you can restart and install Tiger how you would like. I used to be a tech assistant/apple retail, and i believe that is the way you want to do it. :)

5. strohdaddy thread starter macrumors newbie

6. kgarchar macrumors 6502

don't forget to go through as many of the sellers personal files as possible