need help setting up wireless router

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by twoodcc, Jan 7, 2006.

1. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i just bought a wireless router. how do i set it up to where you have to type in a password so no one else can steal my internet? i know how to do it on a pc, but not a mac

thanks in advance

2. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

It should be the same with a mac as with a pc. You need to go into the router setup and modify the wireless security settings. You can do this from your web browser while you are connected to the router. Check the router manual for what address or IP to enter into your browser. Once you get into the web setup of the router it is pretty straightforward.

3. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

so i have to do it from the router settings? i'll try it.

4. mrfrosty macrumors 6502

Another good thing to do is "do not broadcast SSID".

5. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i tried it and i'm having no luck. i got into the setting for the router, and i went to wirless security settings. i used SEP (or whatever), it made a password and when i try to connect and type in the password, i get the error "there was a problem connecting to the airport network" (or whatever). any ideas?

6. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

What type of router is this (brand name)?
    Are you referring to WEP?
    Do you have MAC filtering turned on?

7. dazey macrumors 6502

Fairly pointless. Not only is this easy to discover with passive stumblers like kismac it also makes debugging for you more difficult (as you have to fire up a passive stumbler to see if its still broadcasting) and stops your neighbours seeing that you are there (and hopefully staying off your frequency)

You want to run MAC address limiting and use 64bit WEP or WPA encryption. There is no point in running 128bit WEP as the technique that is used to crack it is not dependant on key length. I would advise sticking the passcode into the router and the mac as a hex code. When you are loging in click on the drop down that says WEP password and scroll down to HEX

8. jocool5 macrumors member

jocool5

With WEP you type in a Password and ti shold give you a Hex-Decimal key. I have had the error that you are describing and using the key made the conncetion work. In the attcahed photo i show what i think you did.
    The blue outline is not the password. One of the red oultiled keys are. It all depends on what one you pick.
    I am using a linksys wireless b router and the screenshot is in the Wireless-> Security. Hope this helps

Attached Files:

• WEP.JPG
      WEP.JPG
      File size:
      35.2 KB
      Views:
  9. twoodcc thread starter macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks for all the replies. i finally got it to work. i had to change it from 64-bit to 128-bit, b/c for some reason my powerbook only does 40-bit and 128-bit. (at least i think). but either way, i got it to work by changing to 128-bit. thanks for the help

10. briangig macrumors regular

128 is more secure than 40 bit. If you live in a fairly rural area, you should be fine, but if you live in a city or apartment complex, etc, I would recommend using WPA. Given enough time (hours or days, depending), WEP can be cracked without much effort.