Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackson2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
At least, I THINK that's what my problem is. :/
I am working on a project where I recorded kids/parents creating special goodbye messages for a teacher who is retiring. I recorded everything using my new Mac book, a Logitech C920 1080p widescreen cam, and Photobooth. Worked great. Except as I sat down to begin editing last night I realized that iMovie distorts the images just enough so that everyone looks a little longer and skinnier. While I wish I could do this to myself in real life, I need to fix this because it's pretty obvious. I assume it's an aspect ratio problem because when I play the vids side by side in photobooth vs iMovie, photobooth looks more accurate (or at least faces look less long and narrow) and iMovie looks a bit too long and narrow.

The only editing software that I own (and know how to use) is iMovie and I need this project done within about a weeks time - or less. Can someone please, pleassse tell me how to correct this? And in a hopefully simple way because I just know enough with video editing/iMovie to cut and edit clips and use transitions and titles - nothing that I would consider 'technical.'

Assuming that there is an easy solution to this, I'd also like to know how to record other footage in the future using the same process/equipment so that I don't have this problem to begin with. I read something last night about using the same Logitech cam but recording through Quicktime and not Photobooth. Haven't tried that yet though.

I also wanted to add that I'm not using any kind of apps or controls with the logitech cam. I just plugged it in and selected it from the cams list. I've read that some apps or the drivers (?) from Logitech can sometimes cause issues on a Mac. Not sure if this is true but since it worked when I just plugged it in, I didn't go any further.

Please, I need some help on this!

jackson2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
Can anyone please tell me if this kind of conversion/fix is even possible at this point? I've only got a few days to deal with this...mess.

As a side note, I tried making a new recording with the same cam in Quicktime and that seems to preserve the correct shape when it's imported into iMovie. However, the audio sounds oddly muffled and deep. Like talking through something or other. But when I use the same cam and setup and record through Photobooth, the audio sounds fine. Does anyone have any insight into this? Same cam, no position changes whatsoever. Recorded within moments of each other.

pinholestars

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
I can't remember iMovie that well, but I believe there's an option for each clip where it can be cropped/fit/ken burns. Perhaps it's on fit?

Also, you should check your project aspect ratio to make sure it's set to 1080 to match your footage.

jackson2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
Thanks for the response.
I've tried cropping it but it doesn't do much/if anything to the shape of faces.
I've seen reference made to checking project aspect ratio as I've tried to find an answer to this but I still haven't figured out where to find this in the newest version of iMovie or how to change it. I know what I'm recording isn't 1080 even tho the cam is. The highest is 720 from what I've read. It's also definitely not sharp like 1080 should be.

pinholestars

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Did it maybe get converted at some point? I wonder if maybe the footage is being interpreted correctly by iMovie, but it was stretched before?

jackson2016

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 21, 2016
If it was converted in any way, it wasn't something that I did. It would have to have been done just by my exporting it and then importing into iMovie. I didn't have any options for aspect ratio when saving/exporting so I don't think I could have changed anything even if I wanted/knew to do it.

Sunny Keach

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2020
I've got the same issue. Can't find a solution anywhere. Maddening. What did you finally figure out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.