Need help to rebbot dinosaur (Beige G3)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by spardi, Aug 5, 2004.

1. spardi macrumors newbie

I have the install CD for OSX 10.3 in the drive but the beige G3 is looking for a floppy (which I don't have). The startup disk had been changed from the hard disk to the CD but it ain't happening. Tried holding C with restart, Tried holding command option P R and waiting for second and even third tone before release. I end up in the same place each time: the gray screen with the flashing question mark over a floppy icon.

Any ideas?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

To install 10.3 on a beige G3, you first need to install and run XPostFacto (Apple doesn't support 10.3 on beige G3s).

4. mkaake macrumors 65816

whats more, it will only work (x.3 w/xpostfacto that is), unless you have a pci video card - the onboard video is useless at this point.

on the other hand, 10.2 runs like a champ (well, sort of. okay, not really, but it runs) on the beige out of the box.

5. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Yes, I agree that a PCI Radeon card would be recommended to run 10.3 on a beige box, because although XPostFacto (as of version 3.0a16) has added "experimental" Panther support for on-board video, there have been reports of kernel panics with it.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

cool! i hadn't read that update.

of course, running panther on my emac, and having seen what 10.2 ran like on my beige before i gave it to someone in need, i CANNOT imagine how painful it would be
    a) to even run panther on the beige
    b) to try to run it on the onboard video

*shudders*

2 megs of ram on a chipset meant for 2D stuff...

7. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    My Beige G3 runs Jaguar quite nicely (although I do have a G4 upgrade nowadays) - I'm replacing it only because of hardware problems. Even with a PCI video card, I never thought it the hassle to try and install XPostFacto and Panther on my system. Unless you *really need* Panther, I'd suggest just using 10.2.8.

However, if the system isn't letting you reboot and load from a CD, you may need to do a little surgery: Specifically, since OSX disables the floppy in the Beige systems, I'd suggest disconnecting the floppy cable from the motherboard before installing it. Also, take out any 3rd party cards and then try rebooting with the Jaguar CD in the drive -- it sounds like repartitioning the hard drive also might be in order to ensure that you've completely blitzed out any leftover data fragments.

And, as you're probably aware, the Beige G3s won't run OSX unless it is on a partition less than 8GB that is the first partition on the system's first hard drive.

Good luck!