NEED HELP - updated 10.4.3 and itunes at once - System is screwed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by greeneggs, Nov 1, 2005.

1. greeneggs macrumors newbie

Hello,

I updated to both itunes 6.0.1 and Mac OS 10.4.3 at the same time. BIG MISTAKE. The entire system frozen with the transparent kernel panic error informing me to physically power down the unit.

Upon a very long reboot my system is still 10.4.2 - and almost everything is broken.
    Safari - DOA,
    iChat - DOA,
    Spotlight - DOA,
    System Update - DOA,
    Dictionary - DOA,
    and the list goes on.

Just about every apple program turns on and then turns off. I can not apply the standalone updater from apples website (the updater says to try installing again, but will not work) and pretty much dont know where to begin to try to fix this.

Any ideas and help would be most appreciated!!!

2. peterparker macrumors regular

peterparker

I'm not recommending it, but I think at that point I would reinstall 10.4 with the Archive and Install option.

3. greeneggs thread starter macrumors newbie

there are others with the same problem

in the main thread on the macrumors homepage about 10.4.3 there are several other people who updated both itunes and OS X at the same time and experienced the same problem. I hope this means apple will have a solution?

4. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

yeah, i agree. you should backup and files you need and then do a clean install. i'd save my library folder as well and forget the archive/install and do a clean install instead.

5. greeneggs thread starter macrumors newbie

is there anyway to...

is there anyway to install the update by booting off the tiger install dvd to get to the installer and then select the 10.4.3 updater? is there any way to back out of an install? is there anyway to force an install?

i have tried installing from root as well and it did the same thing as my regular user. i dont really want to reinstall!

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You could try downloading the Combo Updater from apple.com and then just rerunning that. That would be the first thing I'd do if I were in your place.

7. greeneggs thread starter macrumors newbie

attempted and no success

i downloaded the combo update from apple and no luck! i also tried the same under root.

8. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

You could try downloading the Combo Updater from apple.com and then just rerunning that. That would be the first thing I'd do if I were in your place.

9. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

10. greeneggs thread starter macrumors newbie

i have repaired permissions twice, and no real changes there.

i have not booted into single user mode to run fsck.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The 10.4.3 installation seems to have been quite taxing on the system and people with what were previously okay hard drives and RAM are now finding them failing. Is your hard drive still SMART verified? Is it showing any signs of failure such as a clicking noise? Do you have third party RAM which could be removed temporarily?

I admit, it's a long shot though. Best of luck with it. :)

12. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

Apologies if off topic, but Madjew, what does SMART unsupported mean?

13. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

how do you tell if your drive is SMART verified?

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, I should have put this in my earlier post. You can check the SMART status in Disk Utility (which is in the Utilities folder inside your Applications folder) by clicking on your hard drive in the list and checking out what it says in the panel at the bottom. Apple's support blurb. :)

15. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

So is 10.4.3 horked or what? I was just about to install it but now I'm having second thoughts, it seems some people are having a number of major issues with it.

16. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

So it doesn't mean something is wrong if you external drive is unverified, it just means it doesn't monitor itself right.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Good question. I'm pretty sure externals don't monitor themselves but not positive. I know my iPod, when being used as an external drive, is also unverified.