NEED HELP UPGRADING TO PANTHER

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jusblaze, Oct 20, 2004.

1. jusblaze macrumors newbie

does anybody know if this powerbook G3 can be upgraded to panther. i'm not sure if the system will support it.

PowerBook Model: PowerBook G3 Series (Bronze Keyboard) - A.K.A 101 or Lombard (M5343 )

Began: 333 mhz:

Specs
    PPC 750 G3 333
    FPU & PMMU integrated
    Data Path: 64-bit @ bus speed of 66 Mhz
    64K L1 cache. L2 cache: 512K (333)
    Ports, inputs/outputs: 1 Type II PC card slot, 2 USB, 1 HDI-15 video, 1 SCSI HDI-30, 1 10/100 Base-T Ethernet port, 1 56K V.90 fax modem, 1 built in 16-bit Plain Talk mic, 2 16- bit stereo speakers, 1 IRDA (4 mbps) and sound in and out ports (mic or headphones/speakers)
    512mb Memory
    4GB IDE HD and a 24x cd-rom

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It sure will.

It'll be slow as sin.

And you will should (read: really really need) to invest in a larger HD. A vanilla Panther install will be ~1.7GB. Add to that, you should have at least 1GB of free space for the OS to use as swap, any less and your computer takes a serious performance hit that you simply cannot afford on a 333MHz G3, and you're looking at 1 GB of free space for all your apps and data, which isn't much. So, you really should get a larger hard drive.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Man if that only had like a 6GB drive in it instead of a 4GB drive you'd be all set for Panther.

You could install Panther on it no problem, but you won't be able to do anything major with it. Maybe, run Office, and do web surfing/email, and chatting. Thats about it. Just do the basics and it should run fine, especially since it has 512MB of RAM. Thats a good amount for an older laptop like that.

4. xand83 macrumors newbie

can do

I just ran accross your thread. I too have a lombard "333mhz bronze keyboard" and it runs Panther great. I only have 320mb of ram but upgraded to a 30gig drive a few weeks ago. I did have Panther going on a 4 gig right before the new drive and it worked, but only left like 800mb free on the disk which doesn't give you much to work with.

I, however, only do basic computing stuff. Mainly internet, papers, and use iphoto and itunes frequently. As long as you don't do really demanding stuff your Lombard should run Panther just fine. Granted, it's no Powermac G5, but it's pretty zippy and doesn't bog down too much. With a new hard drive and your 512mb- you should be fine

5. jusblaze thread starter macrumors newbie

bad news

thanks for all the help. i was ready to upgrade.....but then i found 2 cracks on the first installation cd. i'm out of luck...i don't have the cash to buy it again! :(