Need Help Upgrading

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BlueDingo, Dec 27, 2006.

1. BlueDingo macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a PowerMac G4 AGP graphics.

I have currently fried my maxtor 20.4gb HD and i want to buy i new one. Are there any rules about buying a HD?

Also, i wish to upgrade my DVD ROM to a Burner, can i buy just any burner or do i have to buy a superdrive? I don't really want to buy a super drive because of price.

1 more thing, im wanting to do a cpu upgrade as well, the two products i belive the best are Sonnet and Powerlogix, what is the best, and if i by this products, will they work in Australia?

Thanks

2. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Any parallel ATA hard drive on the market right now should work for you. I've got 4 of them in my G4. I recommend Seagate because of their 5 year warranty.

Not just any dvd drive will work as a boot drive. Stick to something that is Apple specific. Try Other World Computing. They have many options.

I have used Sonnet products in the past. They are top notch. I currently have a Giga-Designs upgrade in my G4. It has been trouble free for over a year. I have never used Powerlogix, so I cannot speak on their reliability.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I just bought an external LaCie DVD burner and like it a lot. I use it to watch DVDs so as to save the optical drive on my PB.

4. BlueDingo thread starter macrumors newbie

well, i bought a western digital 80gb, i tried installing Mac OSX again, it came up with a error message, said it couldent finish installing,

i went to disk utility, it said something about B roots being out of order, so i tried to repair it, it said it couldent, so at the moment im wiping it and putting zerro's over the HD

i hope i havent wasted 80 bucks for nothing :mad:

5. BlueDingo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well i zeroed the HD, and i didn't install the language pack and printer drivers and it worked fine! ;) :D