Need help: Using QuickTime to convert video for PSP

Discussion in 'Games' started by shidoshi, Nov 21, 2006.

1. shidoshi macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2004
    Okay, first, I am NOT looking for recommendations for software applications other than QuickTime for converting video to PSP. I know the exist - I want to get this issue figured out.

Back with firmare 2.71 (I think it was), Sony started allowing the PSP to play standard MPEG4 video without requiring that they have Sony-specific file headers. Once this happened, QuickTime Player's "export to iPod" option worked perfectly to convert video into a format that the PSP could use.

...then, of course, Apple gave the iPods 640x480 support, they changed the "Export to iPod" option, and that simple method for converting video for the PSP no longer works. I've tried everything I could think of in exporting video to MPEG4 h.264 (756kbps, 320x240), and none of the files will be recognized by the PSP. For comparison, I tried an older verison of iSquint, used it to convert a video to iPod format, and the resulting video worked fine on the PSP. At this point, I just can't figure out what the difference is.

Is there anybody here who has figured out what to do under QuickTime Player 7.1.3 for exporting video to the PSP? This is REALLY started to bug me, and I want to figure out what I need to do to get final video files that'll work on my PSP.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.
  2. killmoms macrumors 68040

Jun 23, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Are you sure you're setting the H.264 exports to the Baseline profile? If it's still Main profile, that's your problem. The old iPod H.264 specs were 320 x 240 in Baseline profile, up to 768kbps.

For reference, the new 640 x 480 H.264 specs are in Baseline profile (Low Complexity).
  3. shidoshi thread starter macrumors regular

Jun 28, 2004
    Okay... I SWEAR TO GOD that I tried exporting the videos with the profile set to only baseline, as I've been trying to figure this thing out for a while now. You post that, I try it again, and suddenly it works great, making me look like a jackass. *laughs*

Thanks for the help.