Need help w burning dvd - have converted .....

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bree-nxd, Dec 30, 2005.

1. bree-nxd macrumors newbie

Dec 28, 2005
    Need help w burning dvd - have converted AIV to MOV using DivX doctor.

I was then able to burn a dvd with Toast, but it would only fit about 60 minutes of video ( I have 14 episodes, about 20 mins each and approx 175 MB each).

I thought I should at least be able to fit twice this much, and can't work out how to compress the files. I don't have quicktime Pro or Final Cut Pro and I really don't know what I'm doing!

Any help would be great, thanks, Bree.
  2. freiheit macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2004
    If it's possible to tell Toast you want to make a dual-layer DVD (8.5GB) then you should be able to fit more on it, and then use a program like Popcorn (also by Roxio -- it's now built into Toast 7) or DVD2OneX to compress the disc down to 4.7GB with still the same amount of video on it.

If you're not concerned about using template menus and all that, you may also be able to use a program like ffmpegX to convert your videos to DVD format. It's a little more flexible/powerful than the rather basic options given in Toast and iDVD but the learning curve to use it is also a bit higher. Well worth it though if you really want a good all around video format converter.
  3. Greenjeens macrumors regular

Aug 25, 2005
    Can't comment on your DIVx Docter software but "Mac the Ripper" (free) and Toast 7 Titaneaum work perfectly together. The video TS folders work easily with Toast, just watch what you select.

Not familiar with MOV files and Toast. What kind of disc are you selecting with Toast,I don't see an MOV selection? If worse comes to worse there's always the Toast manual:)

Skip Popcorn, Toast has so much more to offer, including CD text creation and a bunch of DVD menus. You also get CD Spin Docter that I've used to create digital tracks from analog output music sources.
    MTR is free but the pay version is better for breaking down a disc by chapters, especially useful for converting music DVD's to CD tracks. Use "AIFF from PCM" (free) to convert the PCM audio from DVD to AIFF (CD format).
    Check out versiontracker for all the audio video tools.
  4. sk3pt1c macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
    a simulacrum
    you could also create the dvd with imovie (should be included with the os)
    and burn it.that's what i did and it was no problem
    4.2gig and burned it just fine
  5. H&Kie macrumors regular

Sep 19, 2004
    If you have iDVD 4 or later, you can burn 120 mins DVD's from .mov files. Also, Toast should be able to burn DVD directly from Divx AVI's if you have the right Quicktime codec installed ( Only I don't know if that allows you to record longer DVD's.