Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edward-k

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2004
I plan on purchasing a new G5 this weekend (dual 2.0). Just a couple of questions from an Apple Rookie.
1) I am looking at the 20" display - another customer at the apple store mentioned to me that the 20" has had reliability problems? True?
2) Can I use a non-Apple monitor with the G5?
3) The standard video card seems weak? I know it can be upgraded if I choose to special order on the web site - but - I am impatient and really want to go home with something.. I plan on using the G5 for lots of I-photo, I-Movie, web, office etc - I play a few games, but I am not a hard core gamer that worries about frame rates etc. Can the video card be upgraded later?
Thanks in advance for any help or opinions
Ed

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
edward-k said:
I plan on purchasing a new G5 this weekend (dual 2.0). Just a couple of questions from an Apple Rookie.

Congrats! I have a Rev A dual-2.0 and love it.

edward-k said:
1) I am looking at the 20" display - another customer at the apple store mentioned to me that the 20" has had reliability problems? True?

I have the 20" Cinema Display as well. The one problem I've had with it is that the power button doesn't work - the one that lets you turn the computer on and off from the monitor. A cool feature, but not useful enough to me to risk returning it for repair only to find out that they've done something to it or scratched it. The picture is excellent, and I don't think that many or any of the new ones have this problem. However, I've only owned one, and it had a problem, so... don't know what to say. I still love mine anyway. The 23" is older and a bit dimmer, but, with the $500 savings (is that still going on? don't know...), it's likely to be a temptation.

edward-k said:

Yes. It even comes (or at least, nine months ago, came) with a DVI->VGA adapter, so you can use Apple Displays, DVI displays, or VGA displays.

edward-k said:
3) The standard video card seems weak? I know it can be upgraded if I choose to special order on the web site - but - I am impatient and really want to go home with something.. I plan on using the G5 for lots of I-photo, I-Movie, web, office etc - I play a few games, but I am not a hard core gamer that worries about frame rates etc. Can the video card be upgraded later?

I have a 9600 (not the new 9600XT, just the old 9600). It works fine for me. iPhoto isn't anything for any graphics card to handle, and iMovie taxes the CPU much more than the video card. However, I would highly recommend spending the $50 to upgrade to the 9600XT from the stock card. You can replace cards, but, for $50 extra, that 9600XT will be useful for many years.

edward-k said:
Ed

Best of luck!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Yes, the $500 dollar rebate on the 23" Cinema Display is still current. That is what has me so tempted to make a purchase. Not sure that the G5 box would fit into my car, so the free 2 day Fed-Ex makes it difficult also.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
edward-k said:
Ed
1. I haven't heard of the 20" LCDs being unreliable, but that's just me. There are strong rumors that the entire LCD lineup will be upgraded at WWDC in a little more than a week. Maybe you should hold out. The only reason to buy now would be to take advantage of the $500 rebate on the 23" LCD.
2. You can certainly use a non-Apple monitor; many people do to save $$$
3. I think if you are talking about the RevB Dual 2.0 - the graphics card is pretty good; 9600XT I believe. It can be upgraded at any time, but you really won't need to based on your needs.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
G5 graphics card

carletonmusic said:
3. I think if you are talking about the RevB Dual 2.0 - the graphics card is pretty good; 9600XT I believe. It can be upgraded at any time, but you really won't need to based on your needs.

The current dual 2.0 model has the NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra 64 MB as the stock video card.:( From what I have read, this card is considerably slower than the Radeon 9600XT, and it also has less memory and is therefore less future-proof (I don't imagine it will be long before we see games that require a minimum of 128 MB VRAM). IMO, the $50 upgrade to the 9600XT is well worth it.

JasonL

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2004
Ware, MA
At least upgrade to the 9600XT. As you can see here the 5200 sucks.

As mentioned, you may want to wait til WWDC to see about the displays.

Good luck!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
wdlove said:
Yes, the $500 dollar rebate on the 23" Cinema Display is still current. That is what has me so tempted to make a purchase. Not sure that the G5 box would fit into my car, so the free 2 day Fed-Ex makes it difficult also.

FYI, wdlove, if you're going with a standard configuration, you can save sales tax at the Rockingham store in Salem, NH. In fact, the tax savings might very well make it worthwhile to buy there and purchase a graphics card elsewhere if that's your only upgrade. You might even be able to order it there and have it shipped there for pickup, in which case you could do a BTO and still save the sales tax.

I have a minivan and a Jeep Liberty. If you need help transporting the box, I'd be happy to be of service. Anything to spread the G5 love! :)

jknight8907

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2004
Hudson Valley NY
jsw said:
I have a minivan and a Jeep Liberty. If you need help transporting the box, I'd be happy to be of service. Anything to spread the G5 love! :)

Yeah just be sure he doesn't take a 'wrong turn' and 'spread the G5 love' to his house 'accidentally'. :D :D :D

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
jknight8907 said:
Yeah just be sure he doesn't take a 'wrong turn' and 'spread the G5 love' to his house 'accidentally'. :D :D :D

Oh, darn it, there goes my whole evil plan. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.