need help: wait for new ibook or Ti550??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by GeorgeC97, May 10, 2002.

1. GeorgeC97 macrumors newbie

hey everyone -

honestly, ... what's your opinion on this -- Should I wait a month or so and buy the NEW ibook (it's coming out real soon hopefully!) or should I get the 'old' Powerbook G4 550.

I am a student - and I don't use any Photoshop stuff etc... and actually the price is not a concern (Well, I am not willing to pay more than the price of the old Ti550)....

I really need this laptop for Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, AOL -- and I really want to iTunes and iPhoto.
    Sure, an ibook can handle this.... but to all you ibook users, would you buy a Tibook instead or would you only consider the ibook?

meaning, if money weren't the problem, -- is a Tibook always preferred over an Ibook?

OH yeah, this would be my only computer for the next 2-3 years (should that make a difference?)

thanks for the input

2. GeorgeC97 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh yeah

also -

how really durable is the Tibook - I would be taking it around with me a lot !
    (well, I know the ibook is more durable... just just asking about the Ti)

thoughts?

3. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

well if you want the bigger screen and will be using velocity engine apps like final cut then go with the powebook.

but since it looks like you dont want to go that way then the ibook seems right for you. if they release a 700MHZ G3 or even an 800MHZ G3 that will be plenty fast for what you want to do. and it will be priced less then the powerbook. with a larger hard drive probably 25-30GB and a combo drive.

just go ibook, thats my 2 cents

4. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i don't have a iBook, so i can't speak from experience. but it sounds like the new iBook would be really good for you. the 550MHz TiBook is getting really old now. i think it only has a 8MB video card (is anyone sure about this)? hopefully the new iBooks will have a 16MB video card, and that will be alot better than 8MB.

i think that the new iBook will be fine for you, but don't take anyones word for it, go to an Apple store and try one out for yourself (when they come out). and if you can, try a 550MHz TiBook. the bigger screen would be really good, but the new iBook would probably have a way brighter screen. just try before you buy!:)

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

The 550MHz TiBook actually has 16MB of video memory. The differences between the rev B TiBook and the CURRENT iBook are:

- TiBook has an annoying fan, iBook doesn't

- 800MHz iBook should be faster than the 550MHz TiBook at non-AltiVec apps

- TiBook has a 15.2" widescreen display, iBook's is 12.1"-ish... yet the TiBook only has 128 extra pixels on the x axis, and the iBook's screen is brighter and of better quality

- TiBook has more robust dual display support; iBook is limited to video mirroring

- TiBook has a superior GPU (Mobility Radeon vs. Mobility Rage 128), and 16MB video RAM vs. iBook's 8MB

- iBook is much more durable - both of them scratch easily, but scratches on the TiBook are much more noticeable

- TiBook is so thin that your finger oils will dirty the screen and may even permanently mar it when the lid is closed

- iBook weighs slightly less

- iBook gets better AirPort range

- iBook should give you longer battery life

- TiBook has a PCMCIA slot, IrDA port, and Gigabit Ethernet, iBook doesn't

Hopefully the new iBook revision will update the GPU to something like a Mobility Radeon w/ 32MB (enough to run Quartz Extreme optimally). Keep in mind that even if you don't use any apps that take advantage of AltiVec, OS X itself (Quartz, actually) still benefits greatly from AltiVec, as evidenced by the way a 500MHz G3 underperforms vs. a 500MHz G4 (which is basically the same thing, plus AltiVec).

I would imagine if you are going to be carrying a TiBook with you wherever you go for the next 2-3 years, you'd better take amazing care of it in a nice, soft case or it's going to end up scratched to hell. I've had my 550MHz TiBook for about six months and already the paint around the palmrests is wearing off and it looks very ugly. (Stop calling the 550 old! It was only cancelled 2 weeks ago, you REV C OWNER BASTARDS!!! :mad:

Whatever you decide, buy as much RAM as you can afford. I would say 384MB at a minimum. Good luck with this dilemma (I had the same one),

Alex

6. ryme4reson macrumors 6502

Go with the ti book

I can speak from exp. I have owned a 500 combo ibook, a 600 DVD, and a recently purchased 550 ti book. First off, I think the ti book is an awesome product. I am also a college student, and I use my macs for the normal stuff, and also programming (CS student) I have been really impressed with the 550 in terms of speed, and the slot loading drive is awesome. Also, the 550 has a 16meg video card, and the screen is GREAT. I heard alot of people complaining about the ti book not standing up to normal usage, but I think my ibooks would scratch much faster. I do use a "sleeve" with the ti book most of the time when I am taking it to work or school. THe one downfall I have is that if i put the ti book in the sleeve and into a backpack the pressure of the books on the screen would mark the screen with the keys, but no permanent damage. I know have to carry to tibook. I do have 512meg ram in the 550, and its just awesome. One recommendation is that virtual PC is much fater in 9 than osX for my usage (radio streaming). Go with the tibook! Lastly, I am thinking about selling my ti or trading up to a 667 anyone interested let me know, jamesk777@mac.com

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

first of all, let me say sorry everyone, and especially alex_ant. i was thinking of the old 500MHz TiBook. there is only a 50MHz difference, so you can see how easily i got it confused.:D

as for a 32MB video card in the new iBook, the TiBook just got it. really, is there any chance that the iBook will now get one? i don't think so.

and can someone please explain Quartz Extreme to me? is it a part of OS X? i keep seeing it everywhere, and i still don't know what it is. thanks!:)

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Quartz Extreme is where the Gui of MAC OS X will rely on the GPU instead of the CPU whcih will make OS X a tonne faster and Then your CPU will be used for applications and not the GUI. Whcihc will greatly spped OS X up. But for optimum performance you need a Geforce 2 mx or higher (atleast a 32mb GPU)
    That answer your question:D

9. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

nice job mac15!!!!!

so i guess the Nvidia 128 Ti card should be awesome in Quartz Extreme, is it almost July yet?

lets try to make this world smoke free

10. GeorgeC97 thread starter macrumors newbie

RE: SCROLLING on a ibook vs TiBook??

hey everyone -

Re: when you say screen resizes and scrolling ....

so you are telling me that on a G3 ibook... let's say if you have a 35 page document in MS WORD ....

if you scroll down or page down, it does not do so instantaneously? i have to wait for screen redraws and pauses?

and on a G4 Tibook it would be no problem?

thoughts?

11. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

mac15, thank you, thank you, thank you!

alright!! so that's what Quartz Extreme does! that has to be the best part of OS X yet!!! Yippppeeee!!:D

and did someone mention scrolling? hmmm...sorry, can't help.

12. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

no doubt in my mind!

get the Ti book, not the g3.
    If you want your purchase to last and work best for you with the new
    osx and QE, then get the new Ti, nothing else will do! period.
    There is no doubt,
    Good news, you dont have to wait for ibooks.
    Bad news, the TI is expensive.
    Good news, its worth it, uhh kind of.
    Bad news, god only know whats going to happen at new york mac attack.
    Good News, New Ti has all the needed hardware called to run the new QE.
    Bad news, its the Minimum.
    Good new, it just came out so it will last a while.
    Bad news, a while is never long in computer land.
    Good news, QE will make OSX the best in the land and you want to run it at its full potential, and that means the new TI and nothing else will do! Period.

Listen to these wise words or suffer, the obvious horror that will arrive at your virtual doorstep.