Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
A friend of mine got his hands on an old Macintosh SE, with SuperDrive [at least thats what it says on the front], but when he gave it to me and i tried to power it on the screen wouldn't light up.

However, it did seem to start up, and flash the superdrive light, but then would do nothing. I was just wondering if this is because maybe the school system who owned it previously deleted it, or if the monitor was bad?

Does anyone know how to fix it, or know where i can find a OS for it? Also, what is the latest OS that was supported for it, 6.0.5?

Ryan

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
SuperDrive refers to the 1.44 Mb 3.5" FLOPPY drive that was introduced in the SE and the Mac II.

Possibility is that this SE does not have an internal hard drive. Many Educational units did not.

Therefore -- you will have to boot OS 6 from floppy disks and see what's what.
You can probably download the appropriate disk images from Apple Support -- but you'll need access to a Mac with a FLoppy drive running OS9 to make floppies from the images. Fortunately you have the Superdrive, so it will read high density floppies.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It should still come up with the flashing disk icon if there's no hard drive, and it sounds like that's not happening.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Thanks CanadaRam, i had just found the Support Page, on Apple's website for downloading the older OS images. I think tomorrow i will try and install OS 9 back on to my old Beige G3, so i can copy the images to some floppys.

on a side note, wouldn't the monitor come on even without an OS installed?

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
If there is a flashing light on the front of the machine (most likely orange-ish), then it definitely has a hard drive installed.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but is the brightness control turned up? It's located under the screen bezel.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
If there is a flashing light on the front of the machine (most likely orange-ish), then it definitely has a hard drive installed.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but is the brightness control turned up? It's located under the screen bezel.

You know what AquaJet, you maybe my hero, i completely forgot about that. I will run downstairs and see if thats it right now, and respond again if that solves it.

Thanks.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Yep, it was the contrast/brightness control.

But, when it starts the screen looks like a scrambled bar code or something. Also, the light on the front does blink Orange, so i am guessing [like stated before] there might be a HD.

Is there a special way to install the OS floppies, besides the obvious numeric order, do i have to hold down 'C' when i put in the first floppy?

Thanks guys/girls for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.