Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan1997

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Is there any USB WIFI adapter that will work with Mac OS 9.2.2??? I dont want to spend $100+ on an airport card.
OR-
If I stick one of the Orinoco(a.k.a Lucent WaveLAN) PCMCIA cards into the airport slot in the iBook, will it work with it?
Here's any info if needed...
Clamshell iBook
Airport 2.0.4
Mac OS 9.2.2

The USB adapters that I see need OS X+, and I don't know if the card will be recognized in the AIRPORT slot, because they are advertised to fit in a PC Card slot.
By the way...Orinoco cards are recognized as airport cards in PC Card slots, but no ones tried it in Airport slots.
So if any one could tell me if tthere is a USB adapter that works with Mac OS 9.2.2(Mac OS 9.1 is OK too), or if the Orinoco PC Card will be recognized, it would be so great.
Thanks!!!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Forget USb adaptors. Driver support ranges from flaky to non-existent. Get an ethernet based adaptor. no drivers needed, works with every OS: mac linux, windows, whatever, with no additional software. Macsense, belkin, dlink and linksys all make such adaptors. I've been using a linksys for 2 years and its been great. the macsense.com adaptor may be particularly attractive for a laptop owner. it connects via ethernet, but uses USB for power, meaning it doesn't need a separate power outlet like other ethernet adaptors do.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
The Orinoco cards and the Lucent Wavelan cards do recognize as a standard Airport card when placed in the Airport slot. However, because the cards are longer than a typical Airport card (even after you've hacked off the case and antenna), it may cause your keyboard to bulge somewhat when it's in place. It is the cheapest option, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.