Need help with blinking globe on start-up

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by CaNMaC, Jan 24, 2005.

1. CaNMaC macrumors newbie

I have a used Rev. B 12" PB with Panther. Recently, after a software update (I don't remember exactly what was updated), I noticed a blinking globe on the screen after the "boing" sound after my machine was turned on. It would blink for several minutes, followed by a folder with the classic OS face blinking inside. Several minutes later, OS X loads. My guess is that the PB is looking for the classic environment to load. How do I get rid of the blinking and the wait without putting in OS 9? Thank you for your help!!

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

It's confused. For some reason it's trying to boot from a network. Zap your PRAM and you'll be okay.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If that doesn't work, once it boots, go to System Preferences...->Startup Disk and be sure Network Startup isn't selected.

4. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    If you wait long enough with the blinking globe, the system will eventually boot from its internal HDD. Then you can change the startup disk back as folks have described above.

5. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Or the other solution would be to hold down "option" on startup. This will bring up all the available boot volumes for you to select from. Or perhaps if you hold down "X" it will boot into OS X. I don't know if the last one overrides netboot, but it does when switching between OS 9 and OS X on dual boot machines.

cpjakes

6. CaNMaC thread starter macrumors newbie

I disabled network startup, and my problem was solved! Thanks for all your suggestions!